Homemade Grinding Jig MkII

Stuart Ablett

Well, I finally gave in and ditched the old wooden jig, it was flawed in that the way the jig tightened down on the tool placed in it, it would not always keep the tool squarely in place.........

old_jig1.JPG old_jig2.JPG
You can see the bent piece of metal I tried to use to keep things flat, it was flat at one time, but repeated use made a dimple in it. The other thing is the glue on the wood was starting to weaken in several areas, so it was time for a new improved jig.

so I broke out the MIG and the grinders, and went to work......

steel_grinding_jig_right.JPG steel_grinding_jig_left.JPG steel_grinding_jig_back.JPG steel_grinding_jig_front.JPG
(sorry about the small pics, my cell phone camera just decided to start taking smaller pics:dunno: Must be a Windoze OS :rofl:)

That is a couple hours work, I took it for a spin, and boy does it work well! :thumb:

The main difference is the heft of the jig, it is a LOT heavier than the old wooden one, and I'm finding the extra mass makes for an even smoother grind.

Yeah, I know, I'm too cheap to buy what I can build, but there is a method to my madness, I would have actually bought (SHOCK) the Oneway Vari-grind jig, but the hole in it is too small (just) to fit my P&N Supra gouge, so there would be not much point in buying a jig that I could not use with one of the tools I already own.

Cheers!

Looks great Stu. I wish I had the time, skills, patience to make such things. Now that my dad is part of this family, I hope he post pics of all the tools, jigs etc he has made....Dad did you hear that?:wave::D

Stu, I don't want to hyjack your thread, but my dad might need some encouragement from all of us to take some pics and post some more....if you know what I mean!!:thumb:

Thanks guys!

Bruce, I cut it the old fashioned way, SWEAT :D

Drilled a series of 8mm holes next to each other in an arc, cut out the waste with my jigsaw, sporting a metal cutting blade (slowly, with lots of cutting oil) and then I clamped it in the vice, and got out the round file, as well as a half round file and had at it, took maybe 15 minutes.

Cheers!

Actually Bruce, Stu purchased a Vari-jig and took the grinder to it. Just to give it that shop made look.;):D
Seriously Stu, it looks like it came from the factory.:thumb: I was lazy and bought one on sale.:rolleyes:

Wes

Certainly I used the vari-grind as a starting point, and I would have gladly bought one, but, like I said, the hole is not big enough for my P&N Supra Gouge, which I really like for roughing green blanks.

Cheers! :wave:

Looks great Stu. I wish I had the time, skills, patience to make such things. Now that my dad is part of this family, I hope he post pics of all the tools, jigs etc he has made....Dad did you hear that?:wave::D

Stu, I don't want to hyjack your thread, but my dad might need some encouragement from all of us to take some pics and post some more....if you know what I mean!!:thumb:

Dad!

Show us how it's done!
(please ;))

DT

What's that old saying about the Japanese copying everything only doing it better? You've been over there far longer than you realize.:D

Turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so....

It was 17 year just a couple of days ago, that I came to Japan, Aug 16th 1990, to be exact! :D

So I've tweaked the jig just a bit.

steel_grinding_jig_mk21left.JPG steel_grinding_jig_mk21right.JPG steel_grinding_jig_mk21front.JPG steel_grinding_jig_mk21back.JPG

I replaced the large plastic knob, as it would "Bump" the grinder when at the extreme lean for some of the gouges (yes, my 8" wheel is no longer 8 inches :rolleyes:) so I put a wing on top, also on the adjusting arm.

The two extreme sizes I use for gouges........

steel_grinding_jig_spindle_gouge.JPG
Small spindle gouge...

steel_grinding_jig_supra_gouge.JPG
Large Supra gouge

I get good smooth easy grinds on both.

Yep, this was well worth the effort! :D

What a great inspiration.

I put together a wooden one, but all I've got is a jet mini, and some smaller gouges. I've done my own imitation of some of the commercial jigs.

What you've done is show us all how to create jig that rivals the commercially produced models!

Stu, you the man. That is a cool jig. Agree with Jeff that I wish I had the time,talent, and the equip to do that.
Guys, give me a chance, I will bore you with some pictures, hopefully today.