Some More Free Wood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I found this waiting for me when I came home a few nights ago:

Alder Haul 1T.jpg

It was left by the guys who do our lawn every week. The lead guy asked me a while back if I could use any wood (he'd seen some of my stashes around the yard). Who was I to say no? I'm pretty sure it's more alder, but if you can identify it from the pics, please let me know if you think it's something different. (Oh, and you can disregard the couple old, cracked chunks of ironbark red eucalyptus in the pile. That's the darker, rougher barked stuff.)

Alder Haul 2T.jpg Alder Haul 5T.jpg

I got about half way through the new stuff last night before my back told me it was time to quit. It's relatively light wood, but my back doesn't do bending and stooping very well anymore. Here's the stash so far:

Alder Haul 3T.jpg

And say what you will about my cheapie Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw, it still will fling the wood chips and curlies:

Alder Haul 4T.jpg

I roughed out a hollow form last night...looks like this'll be some nice stuff.

Looks like some purty wood Vaughn. But from the beautiful work you've been turning out lately, it could be petrified cow pucky and you'd find a way to make it look good.:cool:

Quick Update

Well, I got the rest of the wood cut up and sealed yesterday afternoon. Here's the final damages...24 blanks, including two that have already been roughed out (so they're not in the pics).

Alder Haul 7T.jpg

And the Wild Thing, once again victorious. :rolleyes:

Alder Haul 6T.jpg

It was suggested by someone that this might be beech wood, not alder. I'm going to do some research on that, but if you have any ideas about what kind of wood this is, please chime in.

Nice haul Vaughn......uh wait a minute.....You didn't haul it..:rolleyes:

Nice gift Vaughn!:rolleyes:

I've found a gift of sorts on my porch recently....some from Texas..some from Arkansas........some from Idaho......:)

Last edited: