Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Got Plans for an...

Anyone Got Plans for an...

...ark? If it doesn't stop raining pretty soon I'm going to need one. Water's standing in the yard and it doesn't look like it is gonna stop any time soon. WE've been i a drought long enough that much of the corn crop is pretty well shot. Now here comes the rain to make the fields muddy.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

An Ark?

I'm afraid we are waiting for ice out here. Rained a bit this morning, then cleared off but never hit 60. Tomorrow its supposed to stay around 55 degrees...now those are day time HIGHS, the lows are hitting the lower 40's.

It feels like autumn here and the trees are also showing. Some are beginning to change color already...yes no joking. Crazy summer....
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Interesting subject. We were just discussing that over the phone with my MIL in Illinois. Lewiston, Idaho normally, gets 12" moisture annually. We are in drought conditions for the 9th out of the last 10 years. Since May we've had 0.04 inches of rain and our total for the year....2.1". June is our wettest month. Folks, you may need the ark.....we don't!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-19-2007 at 12:31 AM.

We have been getting rain as though it were spring time, ( you know...spring showers) except it is summer hot here as usual. Sorry for the drought, and the deluge.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Please send some of that rain to the Carolinas! We're dealing with a severe drought!

Hmm, looks like it is coming this way... the 5-day forecast is 60% POP for each of the next 3 days. Weather radar for S.Ont shows lots of precip in MI and OH that we could use. It's been dry dry dry here!

...art

ps: and I know where to find plans for an ark. But you're on your own when it comes to finding Gopher wood..
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 08-19-2007 at 02:29 AM.

Dave,

I don't have any plans for an ark, but a quick web search produced a set of instructions.

Does Sketchup convert Cubits to English or Metric?

14"Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch.

15"This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred [a]cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.

16"You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Same here Dave. Started Saturday morning about 10 AM. Hasn't stopped. Had 3/4" as of yesterday at 4 PM, but up until that point the rain was nice. It rained harder most of the night and now we're at 4.1 inches as of 6 AM and by the radar it looks like it's going to rain all day.

Sure could have used some of this during June and July.

Karl

You need to contact the Bangor Baptist Church. They built their church to the same dimensions as the ark. Not quite sure how they converted cubits to feet and inches, but they did it. You never realize how big the ark must have been unless you see the church. It's pretty darn big.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

The ark has an interesting story behind it, I saw this on the History Channel...I know I know, I should have been in the shop instead of watching TV...but anyway

This guy dedicated his life to studying the ark. After he died his family thought his 30 years of research was going to waste, so they paid a naval architect to look at it. The naval architect thought "no big deal, a few hours and I will disprove this thing."

6 hours later he realized the ark plans were interesting. They not only were buildable, they conform to the same design rations as new ocean going barges. That is, for every length, width and depth, the ark would have conformed to these new design specs. So now as interested as the first guy, the naval architect build a scale model of the ark and floated it in a test pool. It was unbelievable what this ark/ barge would endure and still stay afloat.

Just kind of interesting I thought