Anyone Got Plans for an...

Dave Richards

...ark? If it doesn't stop raining pretty soon I'm going to need one. Water's standing in the yard and it doesn't look like it is gonna stop any time soon. WE've been i a drought long enough that much of the corn crop is pretty well shot. Now here comes the rain to make the fields muddy.:rolleyes:

An Ark?

I'm afraid we are waiting for ice out here. Rained a bit this morning, then cleared off but never hit 60. Tomorrow its supposed to stay around 55 degrees...now those are day time HIGHS, the lows are hitting the lower 40's.

It feels like autumn here and the trees are also showing. Some are beginning to change color already...yes no joking. Crazy summer....

Interesting subject. We were just discussing that over the phone with my MIL in Illinois. Lewiston, Idaho normally, gets 12" moisture annually. We are in drought conditions for the 9th out of the last 10 years. Since May we've had 0.04 inches of rain and our total for the year....2.1". June is our wettest month. Folks, you may need the ark.....we don't!

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like it is coming this way... the 5-day forecast is 60% POP for each of the next 3 days. Weather radar for S.Ont shows lots of precip in MI and OH that we could use. It's been dry dry dry here!

...art

ps: and I know where to find plans for an ark. But you're on your own when it comes to finding Gopher wood..

Last edited:
Dave,

I don't have any plans for an ark, but a quick web search produced a set of instructions. ;)

Does Sketchup convert Cubits to English or Metric? :rofl::rofl:

14"Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch.

15"This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred [a]cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.

16"You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks.

Same here Dave. Started Saturday morning about 10 AM. Hasn't stopped. Had 3/4" as of yesterday at 4 PM, but up until that point the rain was nice. It rained harder most of the night and now we're at 4.1 inches as of 6 AM and by the radar it looks like it's going to rain all day. :(

Sure could have used some of this during June and July. :mad:

Karl

You need to contact the Bangor Baptist Church. They built their church to the same dimensions as the ark. Not quite sure how they converted cubits to feet and inches, but they did it. You never realize how big the ark must have been unless you see the church. It's pretty darn big.

The ark has an interesting story behind it, I saw this on the History Channel...I know I know, I should have been in the shop instead of watching TV...but anyway

This guy dedicated his life to studying the ark. After he died his family thought his 30 years of research was going to waste, so they paid a naval architect to look at it. The naval architect thought "no big deal, a few hours and I will disprove this thing."

6 hours later he realized the ark plans were interesting. They not only were buildable, they conform to the same design rations as new ocean going barges. That is, for every length, width and depth, the ark would have conformed to these new design specs. So now as interested as the first guy, the naval architect build a scale model of the ark and floated it in a test pool. It was unbelievable what this ark/ barge would endure and still stay afloat.

Just kind of interesting I thought

Does Sketchup convert Cubits to English or Metric? :rofl::rofl:

I don't think there is a units setting for that but someone might be able to write a plugin to make the conversion. :D

Travis, I'll be going near Bangor on Wednesday. Maybe I'll have to look. did they build the church with a single window and door? Three decks?

At 7:40 it isn't raining but it rained and thundered and lightninged all night. The strom total so far shows 6-8" of rain in the Rochester area. I'm just glad it wasn't snow. :eek:

In looking in to it a little, there are several standards that are refered to as a "cubit". These vary from 18in to 27in. Wikipedia had a description of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

Which ever you choose to build your Ark, you would want to make sure that the rest of your helpers are all using the same Cubit, or it could get pretty interesting. :eek:

That would cause some problems wouldn't it?

I just read that parts of Rochester got over 10 inches of rain and looking at the Minneapolis RADAR loop, it looks like more is soon to be here.

Sean, not NY but the Rochester. The one in Minnesota, home of the Mayo Clinic.

Stu, I thought a cubit was the distance between your elbow and the tip of your second finger. ;)