Lumber Cart

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I've recently moved, and I used to be able to dedicate a couple bays of a 3 car garage to my woodworking addiction.

The new place only has about 1/2 the space, and I need to share that with a 1946 chevy 4 door fleetmaster, in a really limited state of restoration.

I've got several projects that I need to get started on, and the problem is that with the lumber that I have, I just don't have room. Some of the lumber was recently delivered, and some I've had for a very long time, stored vertically on edge, which, as you know, tends to make the wood warp.

So today, I did something about it. I built a cart that would hold my hardwood lumber as well as my sheet goods.

Another requirement is that I need to be able to move the '46 back into the garage, when required.

Here's what i came up with...
Lumber Cart2.jpg

lumberrack.jpg

The great thing is that it's on wheels. I can get to the shelves that were previously hidden by the sheet goods, and now, the hardwoods can gently rest horizontally. And best of all, I can see what I have and start to use up the inventory!

Wow, that's the first time I've EVER been accused of being way too organized.... :D

I'd do a shop tour thread, but I'm afraid that these pictures already show everything...

Hopefully, next year, I'll be able to put up a detached garage/shop on our property, but until that happens, I've a one bay kind of guy....

oh, and yes, it is on wheels. Got some 3.5? inch casters from Harbor fright that have a cast iron core, rubber wheels. Only 4 at this point, but the seem to do the job. I'll probably pick up a few more next time I get down there and slap them on, just for kicks.

That's something on my "to do" list. I have one wall of my shop cluttered with misc. pieces of lumber - your solution looks like the ticket! Thanks for posting it.

Wes

The larger stuff is a not such a problem for me I just don't keep much in stock. I am lucky enough to have a good merchant within walking distance so other than price there is no advantage in committing space to storage. I need a lot of timber I will take a trip to a yard not more than 3 or 4 miles away (at least half an hour in London traffic, during the day:( ).

It's the off-cuts that drive me nuts! I hate throwing wood away. Anything that will make a pen blank gets offered to Sue, but she says no more often than not as she is stacked out with 'useful' bits as well.

KVKQV-small_offcuts_trolly.JPG

In the end I made this cart and when it is full the new candidate gets evaluated. If there is a piece of wood in the cart that looks less useful it gets dumped and the new piece replaces it. If not the new piece gets the push. Now there is no problem with storage in my shop... Yeah, right :D

Ralph ;)

Great looking cart for offcuts, but any lumber you can't trip over isn't worth saving. I save a lot and manage to trip over most of it. :rofl:

Thanks for the post and idea, :thumb: Will mull over my personal variation to your idea.