The Price is Right, right?

Chris Barton

I got a bid from Morton Buildings to build a two story barn (30'x50'), concrete slab floor on first level, built to insulation and subfloor on second level, insulation R19 for the walls and R30 for ceiling, clear span truses so no lally posts, insulated windows and doors, etc. Morton's is bidding this at about $70K or just about $24/sqft. Does this sound about right? I plan to make the ground level portion a shop and the upper level will be living space. Any advice in building such a barn or dealing with a company like Mortorn's would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

Only advice I can offer is to be anal when it comes to the contract. Be sure everything you want/need is included, on paper, with a completion date and/or penalties for a failure to perform and that they are bonded so someone can pay if they should not. To me the price sounds about right.

Chris,

Only advice I can offer is to be anal when it comes to the contract. Be sure everything you want/need is included, on paper, with a completion date and/or penalties for a failure to perform and that they are bonded so someone can pay if they should not. To me the price sounds about right.

I concur 100% with Cecil on EVERY Point, and ABSOLUTELY on the "Bonded" bit. DAMHIKT:(

Hi Chris, :wave:
Not sure on the price, seems reasonable, but I agree with Cecil and Norm.
All your protection and your only protection is "within the four corners of the document". Any concessions for plumbing and electrical? Find out what a good insulated window is. What is the structure of the joisting and support for the second floor when you get walls on it. Learn about live loads and spans.
Sounds like and exciting adventure!:D:D:D

Last edited:
Not sure if it is a good price or not. I had them bid on my 24x32 single floor shop.There price seemed reasonable. I decided to get some other bids so I checked with some other regional builders and I also got a bid from a local builder that had been around for a long time and had a good reputation.

In the end, I went with the local guy. I probably paid a few dollars more in the end but I just felt more comfortable and they did exactly what I wanted.

Fast forwad a year later and I was having a problem with rain water running in under my overhead door. (Even floor to driveway. No lip to the garage). I called up the local builder, he came out, agreed we had a problem and said he would fix it. A week later a crew came out, cut out the concrete and changed the grade and ccreated a lip so that the water would not flow in under the door. He did this all "FREE" to me. He refused to bill me even when I asked him to. It was not a flaw, nor a contruction problem. But he felt customer satisfaction was number one to him. Got me sold.

Not that Morton would not take care of you. But in my town, Morton would be a "out of town" crew. They don't have an office here.

I agree with the others, either way make sure everything is spelled out in the contract.

chris, i`ve gotta side with jeff on this one.....get a few local quotes, show them the mortan bid and explain that you`re not price shopping but you`re just shopping and would appreiciate their input on what would make you a servicable building. invest the time to research the local builders then research their recomended techniques and products......time spent now could very well save you headaches later on......you might still opt to use morgan? but i`m bettin` that after some research your plan of attack will involve a local builder and local supply houses.
tod

Great advice from all, thanks! I hope to get some additional bids and will be looking over the documentation very closely. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.