Hello...

Hi all,

I have just found you guys, so I thought I'd just drop in and say Hi.

I live in London, England and spend my days writing about or participating in all things woodwork. I have written hundreds of articles and a few books on the subject. That does not make me an expert, just experienced. I also write, photograph and illustrate related technical literature for manufactures from time to time. I like to share what I know and get great pleasure in learning new techniques and generally talking 'shop'.

I have a 18 x 12ft shop in the garden that has only been there a couple of years. Prior to that (and still in use today) I was using my little 6 x 8ft shed that some of you may be aware of as I have posted pictures of it on other forums. I have also written several articles based on just what you can do in a small space...

Thank you for letting me join your community, I'm off now to join in with one of the threads...

Ralph;)

Edit: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, but hey, I'm the new boy here. Besides what do I know about woodworking forums:D

Last edited:
Welcome to FWW Ralph! Send some of the rain to Lewiston, Idaho PLEASE.
We've only had about 16% of our normal moisture....normal is 12 inches annually.

Ah ha! I found your original post. I just responded to your shop tour post...since I didn't see this.

As I mentioned over there...Welcome aboard! ;)

And unlike Stu, I don't like small spaces. My "Birth of a Shop" thread is proof of that! :rofl:

And remember, we love pictures...:thumb:

- Marty -

Ralph,

Welcome...I was replying the other night, but got side tracked...I have your "Success with Joints" book and recommend it to folks for hand cut joinery, it's very well written and the pics are great. I really think it's one of the better books to show a good solid basic approach for cutting joinery by hand.

I know you do a lot of router stuff, but I rarely use my router, I have a DeWalt 621 plunge router (ELU in disguise) which I do use occasionally, but tend to be on the side of thinking that would grab a hand plane, chisel, saw, etc...

One of the best books I have on joinery is the old Charles Hayward that is out of print, but since the book is old the quality is nothing like your book, although it has more joinery in it. Your book certainly has the basics and the quality is excellent!