Shaker Sewing Table

Jim Shaver

Hi All,

First project post here on FW.

I made a Shaker Sewing Table, using cherry and quatersawn beech.

IMG_9402.jpg

The table was made using a plan from Fine Wood Working, and the table resembles one I saw at Pleasant Hill KY.
IMG_9403.jpg

The drawer sides are qs beech, half blind dove tailed to the drawer faces. The drawer slides on hanging runners.
IMG_9397.jpg

The legs are dove tailed into the spindle base.
IMG_9401.jpg

A couple more coats of Danish oil and then wax and it will be done.

All comments are welcomed.:)
Take care,
Jim

Aw, man! Sorry about that Jim. Better luck next time. Just let me drop by and take that off your hands so you don't have to look at it... ;):D

So seriously, then, what about that double-sided drawer. Do you have any magnets or catches to help hold them in the right place?

Jim

That is some wonderful work! Thanks for the post.

We are going to Pleasant Hill in the next day or so....... maybe I'll see the original!

Jay

Aw, man! Sorry about that Jim. Better luck next time. Just let me drop by and take that off your hands so you don't have to look at it... ;):D

So seriously, then, what about that double-sided drawer. Do you have any magnets or catches to help hold them in the right place?

No Problem Art...:rofl:

The drawers register with the ends of the runners and the drawer face, you feel for the limit with your finger..

Awesome work Jim!:thumb:

Is this design found in Shaker work or is it your own design based on Shaker priniciples? Either way its outstanding.

Hi Jesse,

It's tradional design, I made this one after one I saw at Pleasant Hill, but one very similar to it is in an FWW publication called "In The Shaker Style". I read and followed a table made by Robert Treanor.

Jim

That is some wonderful work! Thanks for the post.

We are going to Pleasant Hill in the next day or so....... maybe I'll see the original!

Jay

Jay you will love it there, please get there early and stay late. We had a wonderful lunch there as well.

You need to see the famous storage unit at the top of the stairs in the main meeting building...it was amazing!
IMG_5615.jpg

I also enjoyed time speaking with a man making Shaker boxes, I make them too, we traded a few secrets:rolleyes:

IMG_5641.jpg

The whole place is filled with history and you will learn how the Civil War played a huge roll in the community's passing over time.
IMG_5671.jpg

Make Sure to post trip hightlights!

Good work Jim!

I like its simplicity, and clean lines.

Just a question, from your pics, I get the feeling that when opening the drawers it may tilt, is that so or is just a false sense of proportion that I'm getting because of the picture??.