Shaker Sewing Table

Good work Jim!

I like its simplicity, and clean lines.

Just a question, from your pics, I get the feeling that when opening the drawers it may tilt, is that so or is just a false sense of proportion that I'm getting because of the picture??.

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your post and kind words.

The drawer hangs on a full runner along the top of the drawer. The drawer can be pulled out from either side. The lengh of the runner is helpful in avoiding a tipping problem, and, the top of the drawer contacts the underside of the table when it does start to tip.

I hope these pictures help. The drawer is still fully supported on the runners in these pictures.

IMG_9408.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg

Jim,

It is good that you can laugh at yourself. I have seen that picture many times, and I always marvel at the fact that you once made those "martian dovetails".

Your talent, design, execution, and wood selection skills put you on the short list of really outstanding Shaker style woodworkers today.

CH Becksvoort
Kelly Mehler
David Lamb
Ian Ingersoll
Robert Treanor (sure wish he would publish articles again)
Jim Shaver
Jason Tuinstra

Distinguished company, indeed.

(Of course, if I had made those dovetails, I would seek out and destroy any and all copies of that picture, and the original project would have been burned in the fireplace long ago.:D)

I always look forward to your posts.

Martin

[SIZE=+1]Sorry, Jim. Just couldn't resist the opportunity to haze the 'new guy' here.[/SIZE] :D

Boy Jim, you have a great memory! :thumb:

The question is, does that rolling pin rack still work? and is it still on the wall?

Sure the dovetails are not perfect, but I bet they held up just fine.

Great table too! :wave:

These would be the ones you are thinking about Jim,:thumb:
IMG_7634.jpg

Here at Family Woodworking, we'd never ridicule someone for making a mistake.

Um...uh...nice rolling pins. The candles looks pretty good, too. I like blue. :rofl: (Hard to believe the sewing table dovetails were cut by the same guy who did these. At least these have lots of "breathing room" for the wood.)

Maybe we need to start a "My Best Blooper" thread. I know I have some entries for that one. :rolleyes:

Boy Jim, you have a great memory!... :thumb:

[size=+1]Well, those were pretty memorable dovetails when Jim S. first posted them.

BTW, I've 'known' Jim S. 'electronically' for about ten years, I guess, but have never (yet) had the pleasure of meeting him personally. Maybe someday...

We did correspond quite a bit when he was making his Morris Chairs, since he was sorta using mine as a pattern/inspiration. He went me much better, though. He made two, and they both looked better than mine...:huh:

Still got some pix of those, Jim? They'd be well worth posting here![/size]

[size=+1]Well, those were pretty memorable dovetails when Jim S. first posted them.

BTW, I've 'known' Jim S. 'electronically' for about ten years, I guess, but have never (yet) had the pleasure of meeting him personally. Maybe someday...

We did correspond quite a bit when he was making his Morris Chairs, since he was sorta using mine as a pattern/inspiration. He went me much better, though. He made two, and they both looked better than mine...:huh:

Still got some pix of those, Jim? They'd be well worth posting here![/size]

You are very kind Jim...we have been very good on line friends and I hope to meet you one day, at Indyfest or 5 barns I imagine.:thumb:

I am not sure if it is okay to post a project here that I made years ago and posted elsewhere, if it is okay I would, but I am not sure how the FW community feels about such postings...:)

Take care,
Jim

...I am not sure if it is okay to post a project here that I made years ago and posted elsewhere, if it is okay I would, but I am not sure how the FW community feels about such postings...:)
Wouldn't be the first time that's happened around here. ;) Even if it is a repeat for some members, there are sure to be a lot of folks who've never seen the project before, and who would benefit from seeing it now, even if it's a few years old. (And if someone doesn't want to see a repeat, they can click on to the next thread.)

The whole idea behind this forum is the sharing of information...sounds like a thread about your Morris chairs would be just that. :thumb:

Sure the dovetails are not perfect, but I bet they held up just fine.

Assuming Jim still has it, this would be a great "real life" test of the claim of how good modern glues really are.

You are very kind Jim...we have been very good on line friends and I hope to meet you one day, at Indyfest or 5 barns I imagine.

I am not sure if it is okay to post a project here that I made years ago and posted elsewhere, if it is okay I would, but I am not sure how the FW community feels about such postings...

The community is us. And I for one think it is fine. Nothing against that in the TOS, as far as I know. If no one is interested, no one comments, no discussion takes place and the post quickly falls off the front page. So no harm done, right?

I've met Jim once at a local forum get together (the irregular CNIB meetings) and I have to warn you that Jim'll talk your ear off if you let him. :rofl:
(Not that you'd mind...)

Hope things go well with your hip operation!

I am not sure if it is okay to post a project here that I made years ago and posted elsewhere, if it is okay I would, but I am not sure how the FW community feels about such postings...:)

Take care,
Jim

oh for heavens sake! is it woodworkin`? is it interesting? then why in the world would anybody take offence?
my vote is to share whatever you`ve got the time-n-inclination to share.
thanks in advance, tod

Nice piece Jim - really beautiful. I like the rolling pin rack and can see nothing wrong with the dovetails :).

I would love to see some info on your Morris chairs. They are an item that I have on my list of "maybe one day when I don't have to work like a dog to make all this stuff to sell". So post away!

very nice jim

i offered to try and make one of those for the better half but she declined:dunno: so i quess i will have to do it now and when she changes her mind i will give it to my doughter:D but i have question as to why you used beech in it,, strength? or some other reasoning.

Larry, the gents from the UK will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Beech they have over there is somewhat different and nicer than "American Beech" that you would see in North America, also, if memory serves, Beech has a long history in the UK for such things as tables, in fact, again, if I'm not dreaming this, most ordinary tables were made from Beech, I'm talking stuff in the working parts of the house, not the dinning room table, more the kitchen table etc.

I know I use Beech here in Japan, as it can be about 1/2 the price of Ash.

Cheers!

Stu, who's father's side of the family come from the UK (Both grandparents).

i offered to try and make one of those for the better half but she declined:dunno: so i quess i will have to do it now and when she changes her mind i will give it to my doughter:D but i have question as to why you used beech in it,, strength? or some other reasoning.

Hi Larry,

I have always liked the look of QS beech for drawer sides, I like the way it contrasts with the cherry.:)

Assuming Jim still has it, this would be a great "real life" test of the claim of how good modern glues really are.

The community is us. And I for one think it is fine. Nothing against that in the TOS, as far as I know. If no one is interested, no one comments, no discussion takes place and the post quickly falls off the front page. So no harm done, right?

I've met Jim once at a local forum get together (the irregular CNIB meetings) and I have to warn you that Jim'll talk your ear off if you let him. :rofl:
(Not that you'd mind...)

Hope things go well with your hip operation!

Yak Yak Yak.....:thumb:

Thanks for the kind wishes Art:)

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened around here. ;) Even if it is a repeat for some members, there are sure to be a lot of folks who've never seen the project before, and who would benefit from seeing it now, even if it's a few years old. (And if someone doesn't want to see a repeat, they can click on to the next thread.)

The whole idea behind this forum is the sharing of information...sounds like a thread about your Morris chairs would be just that. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn....

Love the picture of your Pup!:wave: