Got a 1" Thompson skew a couple days ago (more of the powdered metal/cryogenic tooling) , and I got around to making a handle for it last night. Still haven't turned with it yet...it was about 3:00 AM last night when I finished it up...but I've got 'er ready shape the profile and hone today.
The handle is two-tone cocobolo, and the ferrule is from a brass pipe nipple. Here are a few action shots...
First, I mounted the brass nipple in the lathe, and started turning off the threads on one end. It was handy that the cone on one of my live centers was just the right size to center the brass nipple:
A bit of work with an old round nose scraper and a file, and I had this. :
I cut off the (now) threadless end and mounted it in the chuck to clean up the cut edge. I was too lazy to put the smaller jaws in the chuck, and didn't really see a need:
This should work just fine. For about 6 or 7 bucks, I got a heavy 4" nipple that'll make three of four ferrules, much thicker than the copper pipe fittings I saw, and for less money:
Turned down the end of the handle to fit the ferrule. Proof that I was using the skew is evidenced in the nice spiral catch you see in the pic. Hey, I'm still learning how to tame the skew. You'll also notice I forgot to undercut the shoulder where the ferrule meets the handle, which left a small gap visible after the ferrule was pounded onto the handle. It's my first tool handle, so I'm still learning that, too.
Next, I pounded the ferrule onto the blank and finished roughing out the shape. Stu and Ken, you'll be proud of me. Aside from using the roughing gouge to get the corners of the blank knocked off, I turned the whole handle with my Harbor Freight skew (with my version of a Lacer profile on it). I know I could have knocked the corners off with the skew, and in fact I did at the ferrule end, but the roughing gouge was a lot less physical work than the lightweight HF skew.
I didn't get any pics of some of the intermediate steps like drilling the end or parting it off. I sanded the whole thing from 120 grit through 12000 grit Micro Mesh, then 3-wheel buffed and waxed the whole thing. The cocobolo is oily enough that I didn't figure it needs a finish on it. Look Ma, I can see myself:
And the finished product:
Attachment 11695 Attachment 11687
I also plan to work some epoxy into the round hole where rectangular tang of the chisel is. It's REAL tight, but I figure filling the gaps will be a good thing. I'll do some test driving with it this afternoon, then epoxy it tonight.
Thanks for looking -