Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backless chair/stool with sculpted seat

Backless chair/stool with sculpted seat

Hi there, after three wonderfull weeks of holidays ( I apologize for not even saying a proper farewell) during which I've tidied up my workshop, and done a lot of woodworking (at last!!) I'm on the way of making the chair of the included sketch.

As I wasn't sure how to proceed I've made a half full size mock-up in scrap salvaged wood from machinery packaging that I will post tomorrow together with some questions that I hope some of you more experienced than me will take the time to answer.

As a token here it goes the preliminary sketch.

Any comments suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Ooh...I'm looking forward to seeing this one take shape. Looks like it's going to be a very nice piece. More from Toni the Artist, who happens to also do woodworking.

I like your sketch, also. The software you are using makes it look almost hand-drawn. (I envy your excellent drawing abilities.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughnn,

But I'm just Toni, a fellow woodworker, that gets more from this forum that gives to it. I'll be always in debt for all the things I learn here.

BTW. the software I'm using to draw is called IFITISNOT WHATYOUWANTDOITAGAINANDAGAIN is is on release 1.0 although there are some patches available
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    ...BTW. the software I'm using to draw is called IFITISNOT WHATYOUWANTDOITAGAINANDAGAIN is is on release 1.0 although there are some patches available
    That made me laugh. Especially the part about the patches. I think I could use a few of those myself.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'm glad I made you laugh BTW If you envy my drawing abilities I envy your musical ones so we are breaking even aren't we?
    Best regards,
    Toni

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hola Tony!
    What an interesting project!

One thought that comes to mind is that the glue-ups (expecially on the mitered legs) will be challenging. Save your curved cut-offs to use to make clamping blocks!

Hope you will post lots of pictures of your progress.

Jess
    Don't believe everything you think!

Toni,

After seeing your coffee table, I can't wait to see how this project turns out!
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Hi Jesse.

Yes you are right. The joinery is what I foresee will be the most challenging part, so I count with your help and the help from other fellow woodworkers to solve it.

Wait for the initial pics of the mock-up that I'll post tomorrow.
    Best regards,
    Toni

This is going to be a really nice project, Toni. I love the design. For the joint between the front legs and seat frame, maybe either a tenon on the leg and a mortise in the rail, or.....maybe a stopped sliding dovetail about 3/4 of the length of the face of the joint so the dovetail wouldn't be seen?????? Either would give a lot of glue surface for strength with a proper fit, (and a real challenge to the "Joinery Skills" too if the sliding dovetail is used).

What kind of wood are you going to make it from, the same as your Table?
    I will enjoy following this project.

Well… as promised here there are a few pics of the state of the process.

As I have no idea how a chair is made, and this is my first attempt ever;
    I started by drawing and cutting out from cardboard a full size set of templates of the side view ( sorry no pics) and cut the rail and front and back legs, out of salvaged pine wood from heavy machinery packaging.
    Attachment 11773
    At this time as what I wanted was to check proportions, size and design I didn’t bother about any joinery because I don’t know which one should or will use, anything that would hold the pieces together would serve.
    Attachment 11775
    As a matter of fact I did use a spline on the mitered ( or is it mitred?) joint of the front leg, checking at the same time how would it look if it was made of different colour.

I glued the half seat as well, although at this time on the pic the front part of it was missing. In the final chair it will be made of a maximum two pieces joined in the centre by its length as usual not as depicted here

Then I shaped the back and the back leg together.
    Attachment 11776Attachment 11777
    Marked what would be removed from the inside to accept anybody’s bottom.
    Attachment 11778
    Shaped it and tested. As the edge of the back was 90º with the seat it made an uncomfortable pressure about 3-5 inches below my belt so I decided to fill the gap with plaster, and giving it a rounded shape. I did it this way because it was faster than gluing a scrap of wood and carving it.
    Attachment 11779Attachment 11780

Rounded the inner part of the front and back legs.
    Attachment 11781Attachment 11782
    Marked eyeballing the concave areas of the sculpted seat and carved them away until they felt right. (Continued in part II)
    Attachment 11783
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 08-21-2007 at 10:12 AM.
    Best regards,
    Toni