computer question about .pdf & .jpg

Frank Fusco

Lotsa good computer savy folks here. Gotta question: Other than scanning as a photo, is there a way to convert a .pdf file to .jpg?
I couldn't figure out a way and had to resort to the ole scanner.

There will probably be 10 better answers to follow, but here's my (less than computer geek) approach.

First, if you have Acrobat (the program not the reader) you can simply choose "Save As" and designate the file type as jpg.

If you have only the reader (and I believe the above mentioned function is not available) you could try pasting the pdf into a PowerPoint slide and then saving the slide as a jpg file.

Like I said, there are probably better ways...

Last edited:
Or, you could just selectively choose the jpg image and when it becomes "greyed out" right click on the image and select copy. You then have that specific image on your clipboard and should be able to paste it just about anywhere.

You can also do this with a block of text, or if you really want to select the entire PDF doc and do the above.

Another answer that only helps if you have Acrobat or Photoshop. Both can read PDF's and do a number of "Save As" conversions. If quality is not too important (a pic to post here vs. a wedding photo for the mantle for example), selecting the image, performing a 'copy' to the clipboard and pasting it into MS Powerpoint and then doing a "Save As" (selecting .jpg) will work.

Last edited:
Another option I've used is to take a screen shot of the PDF (Press alt-prtscr) and paste it into an image editor.

This works very well on the Mac. Shift-Command-4 allows me to select my borders and do a screen copy and I have it set up to save as a jpg. The result is a perfect picture much smaller than a scan. Rather than mess with Graphic Converter etc. I just use the saved screen shot. It is always a good looking picture and prints perfect.

DT

Don,

Just open the .pdf by double clicking. With the window open, select "Print", click on the PDF button and select "PDF to iPhoto... WaLa, .jpgs in iPhoto ready to view, edit, print, email or post.

A PDF on the Festool MFT. 4 pages...4 .jpg pics.

View attachment 11751
View attachment 11752
View attachment 11753
View attachment 11754

Thanks Greg but when I try that it says saving to iPhoto is not supported within print. (Even though it is listed) It does however tell you to go to file: "save as." That works just as you described. I'm using version 8 and couldn't find anything in the preferences to fix that.

It's just as well, I don't care for iPhoto. That group of programs, iTunes, iPhoto etc. would be wonderful but for having to import everything to it's own data bases and storing 3 or four copies of everything. I prefer to use something like Graphic Converter or Viewit and work with the data where I want it to be. Never did like a program to take over. I like doing it myself. ;)

I often make PDF files from a "Word" document exactly as you describe but for some reason it doesn't want to do it the other way around. :huh:

DT

Last edited: