Sanding the INSIDE............????

I've actually used my fingers in the areas closest to the mouth.....My Jamieson tool has a teardrop shaped scraping blade I use to scrape it things smooth.....if that fails....Then I paint the inside with black acrylic paint to hide what I can't reach. :D

OK, how do you guys sand the inside of a hollow form?...
Verrrrrry carefully. ;)

For the parts I can reach, like right inside the rim, I use these:

Finger.jpg

I'm very careful and use a light touch at slow speeds. I've also found that by folding the paper into a triangle with overlapping ends (see the pic), it helps my fingers grip the paper, and it's abrasive on both sides.

Folded Sandpaper 800.jpg

If the opening is big enough, I use one of these. I call it the Sandpaper on a Stick:

BOWL_SANDER_2.jpg

For cases where the bowl sander won't fit, I use these:

Hemostats.jpg

I generally fold a small piece of sandpaper over a piece of closed-cell foam, then clamp it with the hemostats. Be sure you don't put your fingers through the holes in the handle when you're using it though.

I find that sanding the inside of a piece can take about as long as hollowing it out. I'm not a complete purist, though. I figure if you can't see it or feel it by reaching inside with a finger, then it doesn't necessarily require sanding.

Besides the excellent tips Vaughn showed us, I use finger tips
s0174757_std.jpg

I CA glue on a piece of sand paper and away I go

Stu I do one of two things. If I can't do it with my hands I use a dowel with a slit cut in the end about 3" long. I then take a 4" wide by 4" long piece of sandpaper and I start it in the slit and twist it around the dowel which leave 1" hanging past the end of the dowel. That will get the bottom. I just keep sanding and turning the dowel. I go thru all the grits that way. Around the opening it is my pinkies. If that doesn't work I will do like Ken and spray it with black paint.