Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shaper and power feeder question

shaper and power feeder question

ok, so i really need to get a shaper for running my raised panels, multiple passes with the router table is getting old. i am going to get one of the tai/chi models, prolly the steel city if i had to guess...still looking.

my question is, how powerful of a feeder do i need to use for raising panels?
    i see these 1/4hp feeders and i'm thinking surely that can't be powerful enough.

also, never having used a feeder, i am curious, does the feeder keep the panel tight against the fence?

thanks for any info
    chris

I'm not gonna give any opions on models 'cos mine are all different to yours anyway. The feeder on my spindle moulder (which is the correct name for what you chaps call a shaper) is 1hp. The motor power is not really the issue but weight and rigidity are. You want big and beefy. The fixing arm for mine weighs more than the motor etc. You want the feeder base to be securely bolted to the shaper() bed. I would never trust any kind of clamping arrangement.

To keep the workpiece tight to the fence, you angle the feed wheels a couple of degrees inwards towards the fence so that the feeder is giving a little bit of pressure to hold the work against the fence at the same time as pushing through the cutter.

As far as the shaper() goes, a big one is better than a small one. If what you are doing cope and stick work as well as the raised panels I would seriously recommend a machine with a sliding table or the ability to fit one as an afterthought.

chris,
    a 5hp motor is as small as you want to go for raising panels, and if you`re going to run a backcutter it will probably be to small..
    i always run my rubcoller with a panel raiser even if they`re straight panels `cause when the trailing edge passes the leading fence the panel can dip into the cutter.
    the other option, and one that works very well for straight cuts is to machine a steel fence with a bar riding between the cutters that is a continuous fence. (aigner makes a fence that will do this but $$$)\
    for feeders plan on at least 3/4hp, and be sure to get "split-rims" to make changing the tires easier.
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Milton, Fl., 30 miles northeast of Pensacola

chris

ballew saw & tool has a 5hp delta with power feeder on sale through the end of the month for $2100 if my memory serves me correctly. i didn't pay that much attention to other details but they sent a flyer to me last week.

Chris,

Ian hit on the important aspects of the feeder...based on my limited experience. My feeder is 'only' 1hp, but boy is that sucker HEAVY! Combined shipping weight for the feeder assembly and the mounting post is well over 200 pounds!!!

And Ian also hit on the key issue of BOLTING that sucker down! Last thing you need is for the feeder to move...even slightly...when it's shoving something under or over a cutter!!!

Oh, and tod hit on the rest.

I guess I'll just go back to reading...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Raised panels don't come cheap unless you are willing to make a couple of passes do they. I guess that I will be making multiple passes for a while. Even though I do not make very many raised panels the multiple pass thing does get old really fast. I can't wait to see what you get Chris and hear how you get along with it.

thanks everyone, great info....angling the power feeder makes sense...glad i thought of that...

man i wish i hadn't just bought that miter saw and that sander and that trailer...oh well, all things i needed. guess i'll have to pass on that shaper deal for now. it will probably be at least a month before i pull the trigger on one.

i was originally thinking of getting a 3hp shaper but i made the decision last week to just get the 5hp...i know i won't regret it.

thanks for the help, when i start getting down to buying one i will ask more questions

chris

chris, if you`re planning on setting up for production runs of square panels using a backcutter look to 7-1/2hp or larger, i make a 9hp grunt when i`m hustling. if you`re going to be doing archtops start watching for a used unique 250 at auction, they ain`t cheap, even used, but you`ll be banging out 5 piece doors dead on with arches in 2min. perfect every time. here`s a link;
    http://www.uniquemachine.com/250.html
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

check out the weaver site...

http://www.weaver-sales.com/index.html

i have several of their attachements as well as cope and rail cutter sets. they specialize in raised panel door shaper stuff.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

That is a good site Clark. I did a Google search and found the old and new Ballew Saw and Tools site that evidently handles the Delta shaper and power feeder that Steve was talking about that was on sale but could not find anything out about it. Must just be for existing customers. I saw this site on another forum but have no knowledge about the company or their tools but it looks interesting. It is around the Kansas City area as well. Looks like Missouri is the hot spot for this sort of thing. http://rbiwoodtools.com/panelmaster2.html
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 08-29-2007 at 01:25 PM.