shaper and power feeder question

Chris Mire

ok, so i really need to get a shaper for running my raised panels, multiple passes with the router table is getting old. i am going to get one of the tai/chi models, prolly the steel city if i had to guess...still looking.

my question is, how powerful of a feeder do i need to use for raising panels?
i see these 1/4hp feeders and i'm thinking surely that can't be powerful enough.

also, never having used a feeder, i am curious, does the feeder keep the panel tight against the fence?

thanks for any info
chris

I'm not gonna give any opions on models 'cos mine are all different to yours anyway. The feeder on my spindle moulder (which is the correct name for what you chaps call a shaper) is 1hp. The motor power is not really the issue but weight and rigidity are. You want big and beefy. The fixing arm for mine weighs more than the motor etc. You want the feeder base to be securely bolted to the shaper:)eek:) bed. I would never trust any kind of clamping arrangement.

To keep the workpiece tight to the fence, you angle the feed wheels a couple of degrees inwards towards the fence so that the feeder is giving a little bit of pressure to hold the work against the fence at the same time as pushing through the cutter.

As far as the shaper:)eek:) goes, a big one is better than a small one. If what you are doing cope and stick work as well as the raised panels I would seriously recommend a machine with a sliding table or the ability to fit one as an afterthought.

chris,
a 5hp motor is as small as you want to go for raising panels, and if you`re going to run a backcutter it will probably be to small..
i always run my rubcoller with a panel raiser even if they`re straight panels `cause when the trailing edge passes the leading fence the panel can dip into the cutter.
the other option, and one that works very well for straight cuts is to machine a steel fence with a bar riding between the cutters that is a continuous fence. (aigner makes a fence that will do this but $$$)\
for feeders plan on at least 3/4hp, and be sure to get "split-rims" to make changing the tires easier.
tod

Chris,

Ian hit on the important aspects of the feeder...based on my limited experience. My feeder is 'only' 1hp, but boy is that sucker HEAVY! Combined shipping weight for the feeder assembly and the mounting post is well over 200 pounds!!!

And Ian also hit on the key issue of BOLTING that sucker down! Last thing you need is for the feeder to move...even slightly...when it's shoving something under or over a cutter!!! :eek:

Oh, and tod hit on the rest.

I guess I'll just go back to reading...:rolleyes:
- Marty -

Raised panels don't come cheap unless you are willing to make a couple of passes do they. I guess that I will be making multiple passes for a while. Even though I do not make very many raised panels the multiple pass thing does get old really fast. I can't wait to see what you get Chris and hear how you get along with it.

thanks everyone, great info....angling the power feeder makes sense...glad i thought of that...:D

man i wish i hadn't just bought that miter saw and that sander and that trailer...oh well, all things i needed. guess i'll have to pass on that shaper deal for now. it will probably be at least a month before i pull the trigger on one.

i was originally thinking of getting a 3hp shaper but i made the decision last week to just get the 5hp...i know i won't regret it.

thanks for the help, when i start getting down to buying one i will ask more questions

chris

chris, if you`re planning on setting up for production runs of square panels using a backcutter look to 7-1/2hp or larger, i make a 9hp grunt when i`m hustling. if you`re going to be doing archtops start watching for a used unique 250 at auction, they ain`t cheap, even used, but you`ll be banging out 5 piece doors dead on with arches in 2min. perfect every time. here`s a link;
http://www.uniquemachine.com/250.html

That is a good site Clark. I did a Google search and found the old and new Ballew Saw and Tools site that evidently handles the Delta shaper and power feeder that Steve was talking about that was on sale but could not find anything out about it. Must just be for existing customers. I saw this site on another forum but have no knowledge about the company or their tools but it looks interesting. It is around the Kansas City area as well. Looks like Missouri is the hot spot for this sort of thing. http://rbiwoodtools.com/panelmaster2.html

Last edited:
Chris there are alot of good used shapers around. Woodweb has quite a few. Tod is right about the Unique 250...I saw all their stuff at the Vegas show, very cool. I'm going to try and build a sliding bearing table similar the their design for my shaper.

Just make sure to use good tooling. I make the whole pass top and botttom at on time. I'm using dehart insert tooling

Doug

Raised panels don't come cheap unless you are willing to make a couple of passes do they. I guess that I will be making multiple passes for a while. Even though I do not make very many raised panels the multiple pass thing does get old really fast. I can't wait to see what you get Chris and hear how you get along with it.

If you are creative (or cheap like me) you can use your bench planer to drive wood and make it function as a feeder. It does not have the speed control, and you must either take your blades out or carefully adjust the planer so just the wheel grab the wood and yet keep the knives from hitting, but if you are creative, you can make it work. Saves your arms...

tod and clark, thanks for those sites, 2 i had never heard of, a little out of my range at the moment. still trying to build my inventory slowly and debt free. but very nice and interesting options

thanks doug, i'll keep that in mind

allen, thanks i was actually able to find that shaper/feeder combo on amazon for the same price. but thanks for the link

travis, that is definitely inventive. how do you do that, do you set the planer back behind the table and kinda offset behind the fence?

thanks everyone. i am thinking of waiting till the contractor store i shop at has their tool show in Nov...all the reps are supposed to be there, maybe i can strike a deal

chris