Natural Edge Black Ash Plate

Bill Grumbine

Greetings all

I am back safe and sound from Cape Cod, despite the best efforts of some of the drivers between here and there. :eek: I had a great time and a wonderful host family. Here is a picture of one of the pieces I finished just before I left.

ashburlplate01.jpg

This is a piece of black ash burl that I obtained on my last trip up to the Cape. I did a demo for the Tiverton RI Middle School and picked up three pieces of this stuff while I was there. According to the shop teacher there, he gets this stuff from someone he knows in the UP of MI. It is not the best picture, and I think I am going to have to retake it. Below is one from the top.

ashburlplate02.jpg

The plate is 12" in diameter, and approximately 1 3/4" high. It is 3/16" thick, and finished with Bush Oil. I took a chance and buffed it. That went better than I though it might, and I did not have to spend time picking lint out of all the little inclusions.

Thanks for taking a look.

Looks very nice, Bill. I think you're a "cool wood" magnet. The stuff just seems to find you. ;)

Out of curiosity...when does a plate become a shallow bowl (in your opinion)?

Thanks guys! Vaughn, opinion is probably just that. This one has some curvature to it, so it could be a shallow bowl, but it is so thin I decided to call it a plate. It didn't start out to be that way, but some gorilla stuck the gouge in just a little bit harder than intended. Mistakes were made... :doh: But, I was happy with the way it came out. This stuff does seem to come my way in an inordinate amount. But I am very thankful for that!

That is beautiful. My wife wants one just like it. I told her that she would probably be better off buying one instead of waiting for me to get good enough to make one. Nice job.

Bill,

Once again, thanks for sharing pictures of your gorgeous creations! They're doing wonders to keep me from wanting a lathe! :rofl::rofl:

And I hope Denise doesn't read this thread. She's FROM the UP of MI, and knowing her, she'll have some of her kin shipping us burls! :doh:

Thanks again for sharing!
- Marty -

Hi Bill, :wave:
That turning thing is quite captivating and the results achieved can be spectacular. This piece is very nice. Being a flat liner:D, er flat wood worker, are you saying that in looking at the top of the plate, I am looking at the endgrain of a trunk and you have cut it to about 3/16" thick? I have thrown clay pots on a wheel in ceramics so I know about the thickness but also in my years of wood working I know about end grain and it's fragile nature. If that's the endgrain, my hat's off to you. :thumb: If it's not.....................My hat's off to you anyway!:D:rofl::rofl:
Besides, in Houston it's too hot to wear a hat.:D:rofl:
Thanks for the pics.
Shaz

Simply stunning work Bill. The figure and color of this burl is amazing........and of course, what you coaxed out of it ain't no slouch either! :) I can honestly say I have never seen anything you have turned that wasn't drop dead gorgeous Bill. Thanks for sharing your talent, it is VERY much appreciated HERE! ;)

...It didn't start out to be that way, but some gorilla stuck the gouge in just a little bit harder than intended...
What a coincidence...I've got a monkey that shows up in my shop from time to time, and he does the same thing. :D Like your gorilla, but smaller.

What a coincidence...I've got a monkey that shows up in my shop from time to time, and he does the same thing. :D Like your gorilla, but smaller.

Well, as I'm in Japan, it seems that Godzilla shows up in the Dungeon from time to time to stomp around and make a great big mess :rolleyes:

Again, great piece Bill, keep showing them, they are inspirational! :thumb:

There you go again showing off that Black Ash Plate with the natural edge... Sure it is the most loverly thing I have seen on these forums for a while, and yes it is a great rendition of how a natural edged form shoud be, and of course it is as thin as a fellow might want to go and the grain structures turns it into a piece of artwork and most of us wish we could have done such a fine job but .... does you have to make it so pretty? The galoots will try to match your efforts and fail and then depression will set in and then they will feel like less of a turner and then ..... but not me, I know I can't match your work so I am satisfied just to drool whenever you show pictures.

Great job and thanks for the posting.