Pocket Hole Systems-Which one to buy?

The "portable" models are tougher for me to deal with - because they're generally slow. Unclamp, move to the next piece, realign, clamp, dril. The clamping part is a little tougher because usually it's just a vise-grip type clamp. These don't always grip well enough and the drilling action can actually cause it to slip on you. Annoying!

The master system goes for 139 on amazon, plus Kreg has a $20 rebate going. And I think you can get free shipping. So that brings you down to about $119.

That base-mounted system is by FAR easier to use than any of the clamp-on ones. The barrel clamp on the base holds much better and you can just unclamp, slide, clamp for repeated holes.

Unleesss...... you wouldn't mind last year's model of the Kreg K2000 system - which is similar to the current model without the front-clamp and dust collection. It also isn't quite a swift at adjusting for different thickness of stock. Otherwise it's a FINE system. I just so happen to have one i'm lookin to get rid of (pm if interested).

Matt,
I'm a huge fan of the Kreg System. Try to convince him to get the Master...when he see's how many ways it can be used...saving bucks...he'll thank you.

CPO? What was your rate?

Last edited:
I have the k3 standard, and I wish that I had sprung for the master system. I'll be buying the upgrade kit at some point. The master system looks much quicker/easier for clamping with the bench-mounted clamp.

If you primarily drill pocket holes in material you can bring to the tool such as frame parts, the bench mounted clamp would be great. If you primarily use pocket holes in panels, the portable units would better suit you. I don't often have trouble with my HF knock-off vise-grips holding the jig still. You do need to control the drill motor as the leverage available to twist things out of alignment is definitely there, I've done it. You want to be lined up to control the drill motor travel, the jig is just a bit guide. Another thing I found to be a great improvement is the use of a faster speed corded drill. A cordless will do it but the improvement of the corded and faster speed drill was quite a surprise.

Last edited:
I just bought the Kreg R3 to put together my face frame for my new router trouble.

I liked it so much I bought the McFeely's Super 'Sortment of pocket hole screws...

For just a little clamp on, It'll work for me. If I was going to be doing production type work with it, well, I'd probably go for something a bit faster...

I have the Kreg Rocket Jig. It is the predecessor of the R3.

My shop being smaller, I don't really have room to mount the bench top system. I have used it alot and I am very happy with how it works. I find that the vise-grip clamps, work well, but I always make sure they are very secure before I start drilling.

I just recently picked up a Face Clamp and a Right Angle Clamp to help in the joining process. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but will in the very near future.

Also, Lowes carries the screws if you choose to use the Kreg brand of screws.

Last edited:
The master system goes for 139 on amazon, plus Kreg has a $20 rebate going. And I think you can get free shipping. So that brings you down to about $119.

That is a great deal!!! Grab it Matt. The K3 Master System is the way to go. While you are at it get two right angle clamps and if you have a bench that you can mount it in get at least one bench clamp. I think that you will find that it is one of the most used tools in your inventory. Many, many uses. I don't know how I got along without it.

I have a Kreg Tool Company DVD named "The Pocket Hole Solution Trim Carpentry" with Gary Striegler that is excellent. It goes beyond what the title suggest. I highly recommend it. Forgot where I ordered it from but it should be easy to find.

Let your boss know that it will make you much more productive, and that is the truth for many projects. It will pay him back many time over.

Good Luck! Allen

For a "carpenter shop" I don't believe that anything less that the K3 Master Kit would be adequate. I have one and I love it to death. When I have to build a set of cabs for a kitchen I find that I love it all over again. Steve C. may chime in with his opinion as well. I don't know if he uses a PHS in his shop or not.

However, after looking at Tod's link I might be rethinking my pocket hole production. The machine he links to only does up to a quarter of a million holes per month but I might be able to make that work.

:D:rofl:

Matt, definitely go for the Master system, if for no other reason than the dust/chip collection. I've got to make one for my "Older" Kreg system, because with the DC on it, you can just drill right on down, instead of drilling a little and pulling out to clear the chips and drilling some more and doing this about four times per hole. That DC system is worth the difference in price alone, besides the other things you get in that kit.

AS Glen mentioned, a higher speed drill works MUCH better, and in the instructions, it says you should use a drill with a minimum of 2500 RPM for best results and also the chips clear better and the bit stays cooler and will stay sharp much longer.

I am the proud owner of a Steve Clardy Pocket Hole system...one day now, just got it in the mail, works great!

Never owned a kreg. I've seen them marketed at woodshows, but they never interested me.:)

I had and used the older PC pocket cutter that was discontinued in around the year 2000.
It had a PC7310 trim router motor on it, which I usually had to replace or rebuild it every year. I used it a lot.
That machine didn't owe me a dime when I quit using it.

I now have my own system that a friend and I made.
He got the idea from an old woodworking magazine.
We made a couple of them, tested them, revamped them quite a bit, and got a real nice workable system, that employs the use of a 1.5 or 2 horse router.

And of course, being the PC router fan that I am, we used a PC690 router on them.;)

View attachment 11807

This is one of the original test machines that I use daily in the shop.
You will probably notice the depressed hole in the fence. Thats where the toggle clamp started it's life at. ;)
I moved it after discovering the sideways mount was not going to work very well.