Gloat - kind of.....

Gotta love it when someone else buys tools for you to play with! :thumb:

Post an update after you play with that Triton for a while. And push it hard...don't baby it.;)

- Marty -

Congrats on the new toys, Matt. Based on my experience, I think you'll like the Incra once you get used to it. One thing I recommend is adding a sacrificial face to the aluminum fence. The sliding stop is made to reach over a 3/4" plywood or MDF face, and even comes with screws to attach it. That face comes in real handy as a zero clearance device. I use the edge of the cut in the sacrificial face to know exactly where the blade will cut the piece, too. Somewhere (on SMC, I think) I did a series of photos showing how to zero out the sliding stop. Lemme know if that'd be of any help and I'll try to dig up the pics.

I've got the Incra miter gauge. I like the ability to it has to expand to the left for doing small projects and stuff.

Couple things about it that I think could be improved

* The angle of the fence to the table will 'probably'
require shimming to make it 90 degrees. I've seen
posts about this elsewhere.

* not so wild about the split washer method of taking up
the slack in the miter slot. I've never really gotten mine
to fit 100% slop free. But I'm getting ready to make a
bunch of stuff, so I'm going to spend a weekend sometime
doing a serious tuneup on all the machines. Maybe
I'll figure it out this time.

Score on the Blades and the Router!

Matt, here are the pics I did on zeroing out the scale. You can also see the sacrificial face on the fence. In the first four pics, the sacrificial face is moved a little bit away from the blade, to make the details about the stop block a bit more clear. Anyway, here's how I do it...

First, I set lock the sliding stop down close to touching the blade, then using the micro adjust screw, I make it just barely touch (or clear) the tips of the saw blade:

IncraCallouts1.jpg

The next pic shows the scale slid out a little ways, just for a reference:

IncraCallouts2.jpg

Then, I moved the scale back towards the fence just to the point where the zero mark is lined up with the edge of the stop block. I know that point is zero:

IncraCallouts3.jpg

Once it's set, you can use that edge of the stop block to reference a specific length all along the scale.

IncraCallouts4.jpg

I haven't really used the "inside" scale...the one that's exposed when you extend the fence. When I use the stop block with the extended fence, I simply measure the old-fashioned way if I need a specific measurement. If I just need to match an existing cut, I'll use the first piece to set the stop block to the correct distance. (The micro adjust screw comes in real handy for this.) The way I have my sacrificial face set up, I have to loosen one of the screws holding it on to extend the aluminum fence. You can see the floating nut in this pic:

Incra Extended.jpg

And here's how I usually use the sacrificial fence. When it's set up like this, I don't use the scale. My steel ruler works just fine for setting up the stop block if necessary, but often I'm cutting to a marked line on the piece, so I use the freshly-cut edge of the face as a reference for my mark. If I need two or more pieces to match, I'll cut the first one based on the mark, then set the stop block to match for cutting the other pieces.

IncraCallouts5.jpg

The vernier scale on mine is right on zero when the pointy thing is in the notches. (Excuse my highly technical terms there.) ;) Can you take a picture of the scale on yours? Maybe we can help figure out the problem.

I hope this helps -

Wish my boss would buy me some tools......oh, wait:huh:....I am the boss.:eek:

Nice idea to "kick the tires" before buying Matt.:thumb:

Wow, great tools to play with! The Triton sure beats the ancient PC690's we had at work.:D
Oh, and the WWII does go on sale every so often, so keep your eyes peeled.

Wes

Matt, I think you can loosen the smaller of the two vernier scales and slide it that tiny bit to get it on the money.