Begets

Wes Bischel

Yes, "begets" not "Regrets".
I just installed my newest toy - the Biesemeyer fence/table I picked up at Lowes. It went together very well. I am astonished how well my old Rockwell/Delta contractors saw was set-up. Everything lined up great! Things would have gone faster and been a bit easier if I had the room to move things without needing to move other things first.:rolleyes: My only modification was to drill a countersink on the back side rail to accommodate the spiral rivets used to hold the original ID tag on. I could not bring myself to remove the tag - it's just too sacrosanct.

Well, I digress a bit. My post was about "begets". Now that I have the new fence system installed, I took stock of the situation. And this is when the begets begin. So, the Beis is installed, which begets the overhaul of the dust collection ducts. It also begets reworking the compressed air piping as well as the relocation of some tools and tables to make room just to move.:( And to move the table I need to . . . . And it goes on.

But it's installed and square. I figure a few weeks before the sawzall is out hacking off the last 6" hanging off the left end. It always got me at work and now with the tighter conditions, I'll be a hurting puppy (yes it hits right there)
The fence does bring back memories of good times in the shops at work. And it's bringing out old habits I hadn't used in s few years.

Anyway, the new fence makes my little saw look even smaller and a little more worn than I ever thought. But it will be a great addition to the shop.

Wes

Attachments

• 100_3569.JPG
    100_3569.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_3570.JPG
    100_3570.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 66
:congrats: Wes!

Looks good on that saw, and we both know you're really gonna enjoy it. :thumb:

There are probably more "begets" that you haven't thought of yet.....but you'll find them soon enough. :doh:

:rofl:

Instead of cutting the left side off, why not just move the tube one set of mounting holes to the right? That way, you'll gain about ten inches of rip capacity to the right. You'll need to install a new measuring tape, though.

Instead of cutting the left side off, why not just move the tube one set of mounting holes to the right? That way, you'll gain about ten inches of rip capacity to the right. You'll need to install a new measuring tape, though.

he`d have to renotch for the miter slots too.

Jim,
Moving the tube only might be an option - though I would need to drill some new holes etc. At this point, I hate to change anything because the whole system bolted on so well and was right on the money accurate. I used a Starrett rule to measure everything and have been impressed with the adjustment right out of the box. I hate to do something (which we all know I would) that would mess that up - right now that is.:D:rolleyes:
Even if I moved the bracket I'd need to re-drill to mount it and as Tod suggests might even need to re-cut the miter notches.
I'm going to use it as is, and if I - or when:rolleyes: I hurt myself on the tube I'll address the issue. I am going to need to reassess the layout of the shop since the width of the machine is around a foot wider - a foot I really don't have where it's placed right now.

Gee, maybe I need to make something with all these neato new tools?:thumb:

Wes

Jim,
Moving the tube only might be an option - though I would need to drill some new holes etc. At this point, I hate to change anything because the whole system bolted on so well and was right on the money accurate. I used a Starrett rule to measure everything and have been impressed with the adjustment right out of the box. I hate to do something (which we all know I would) that would mess that up - right now that is.:D:rolleyes:
Even if I moved the bracket I'd need to re-drill to mount it and as Tod suggests might even need to re-cut the miter notches.
I'm going to use it as is, and if I - or when:rolleyes: I hurt myself on the tube I'll address the issue. I am going to need to reassess the layout of the shop since the width of the machine is around a foot wider - a foot I really don't have where it's placed right now.

Gee, maybe I need to make something with all these neato new tools?:thumb:

Wes

Wes,
Unless the design has changed in recent years, the mounting holes in the bottom of the tube are evenly spaced, about 10" or so apart. Unbolting the tube from the angle iron, and moving it over by one set of holes, lets you just bolt it back up (using one less bolt) and you're back in business.

Add a new stick-on tape, and you're done. You do lose some left-of-blade capability, but in my case, I've never missed it. I virtually never had the fence to the left - even when I could...

A minor added advantage is that the small, unused part of the angle that's now to the left of the tube makes a great place to keep the remote for the dust collector.

Jim,
I went down and checked the bolt pattern and spacing. It does seem to have changed. It is now a 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, pattern and the spacing isn't even between any of the combinations - at least the ones I came up with.:rolleyes: Even with shifting it over, it solves the personal injury issue, but the saw is against the wall, so it will necessitate moving the saw out. I'll use it for a while and see what comes up.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Wes

That looks great Wes. I just made my final pilgrimage this afternoon and finally found one. Open box. but all the major components look to be in great shape. Price was certainly right! Now to find time to put it on the saw! I'll probably mount the rails all to the right of the saw. I'll post pictures when I get-r-dun! Jim.

Wes, a Sawzall would be far more invasive than just moving the tube one hole set down. As Jim said, it would then be a simple matter of installing a new tape.

You’re going to love the Bies

Good news Jim! If you have a Delta, the installation is pretty easy and quick! Go for it!:thumb: It bolted right up to my old saw and would have gone much faster if I didn't need to heave the saw back and forth to get enough room to access to the front and back.

Bruce, I mentioned the sawzall in jest. After walking in to it right after it was installed - well.:D Moving the tube to the right is an issue because the saw is already up against the wall on the right side to make room to walk past it.:( Actually if I do end up cutting it off, I'll use my grand ol' power hacksaw.:D:thumb:

Wes

Bruce, I mentioned the sawzall in jest. After walking in to it right after it was installed - well.:D Moving the tube to the right is an issue because the saw is already up against the wall on the right side to make room to walk past it.:( Actually if I do end up cutting it off, I'll use my grand ol' power hacksaw.:D:thumb:

Wes
LOL! There are people that have used their sawzall to cut them! :D