Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Box for Mom - Done

Small Box for Mom - Done

I usually wait till I'm done with a piece before I post. I've been working more ON the shop than IN the shop and have been light on postings. I'll post this one before the finish is applied. Cherry with a walnut top and pegs. Once completed, I'll post the build and finished product. Please disregard the fingerprints.

- first pic removed -

Ok, here's the rest; I had plenty of time to get this done (2 weeks early) so I kind of gave it attention now and then instead of watching glue dry.

Find some stock hanging around:
    Attachment 12083
    Bad shot of my C-man 12" doing the re-saw, but it can do it using my super-dooper re-saw guide:
    Attachment 12084
    I wanted to put a lot of hand work into this guy so my HF no-set pull saw and my blue chips got a workout:
    Attachment 12085
    Ok, I'm close on the rough form:
    Attachment 12086
    Clean up saw marks, etc. with a scraper. Bottom is BB ply, thick for weight and floating to allow for wood movement:
    Attachment 12087
    Trying to visualize peg positions, I don't want this thing perfect. I'm after a refined/rough sorta look:
    Attachment 12088
    Shaping the walnut pegs:
    Attachment 12080
    I start with a 3/16" square and work it down leaving a little cap on top:
    Attachment 12081
    Trying out the look:
    Attachment 12082
    And here's where this post left off last time:
    Attachment 12089

Finished shots further down in the thread.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-01-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: done.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

She has got to be pleased with that. The three lock lugs are just enough and the square dark pegs work real nice.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    She has got to be pleased with that. The three lock lugs are just enough and the square dark pegs work real nice.
    Thanks Shaz. I need to start taking pictures during dry-fit. I can't help but feel the peg heads should be a wee-bit bigger. Never noticed till I saw the photo.

I see this hobby as a journey not a destination (boy, don't I wax philosophical). I enjoy learning and trying to get better with each piece.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thanks Shaz. I need to start taking pictures during dry-fit. I can't help but feel the peg heads should be a wee-bit bigger. (In looking at the piece I can see your thoughts. Rest on it and live with it a bit. ) Never noticed till I saw the photo.

I see this hobby as a journey not a destination (boy, don't I wax philosophical) ( "aye laddie" ). I enjoy learning and trying to get better with each piece.
    Me too Glenn. That is an attitude that helps me justify a low bid sometimes. Money is only payment for me learning on the job.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Looks nice, Glen. I like the pegs and the blocky box joints. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I am sure she will love that. I like the pegs as well. Nice work!

Corey

Hi Glenn.

I love it! simple, powerfull and effective, looking forward to see it finished. Great work! Your mom is going to love it, I hope she is not surfing the forum or you would have spoiled her the surprise

Only a few questions, are there any compartments inside and moreover what is its size? A scale indicator next to it like a beverage can, a pencil or tool would give idea of it, It seems from the books (are they books?) behind that it is about 10 x 5 x 6 inches more or less.

What sort of hinges have you put on it if any.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I see this hobby as a journey not a destination (boy, don't I wax philosophical). I enjoy learning and trying to get better with each piece.
    glenn, first cool box!
    i view my job exactly the same way......it may not pay as well as a "real" job but i don`t care, it`s all about learnin` and striving to catch the all elusive perfection....ain`t it great?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Great box Glenn - as a big Greene & Greene fan I have to love the joinery - very reminiscent (for me at least ) of their work. Well Done!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi Glenn.

I love it! simple, powerfull and effective, looking forward to see it finished. Great work! Your mom is going to love it, I hope she is not surfing the forum or you would have spoiled her the surprise

Only a few questions, are there any compartments inside and moreover what is its size? A scale indicator next to it like a beverage can, a pencil or tool would give idea of it, It seems from the books (are they books?) behind that it is about 10 x 5 x 6 inches more or less.

What sort of hinges have you put on it if any.
    Thanks for looking Toni. No compartments. Lift lid. It is to hold some stuff she keeps on her desk. Box is about 4" x 4" x 7". I would have preferred a lower profile to make the dimensions "look" better but it is sized for a purpose. Although standing a measuring device next to it would have been easier; the box side material is 3/8" thick and the peg heads are just under 3/16".
    - Arthur C. Clarke