Small Box for Mom - Done

glenn bradley

I usually wait till I'm done with a piece before I post. I've been working more ON the shop than IN the shop and have been light on postings. I'll post this one before the finish is applied. Cherry with a walnut top and pegs. Once completed, I'll post the build and finished product. Please disregard the fingerprints.

- first pic removed -

Ok, here's the rest; I had plenty of time to get this done (2 weeks early) so I kind of gave it attention now and then instead of watching glue dry.

Find some stock hanging around:
1-Piece-of-Cherry-1.jpg
Bad shot of my C-man 12" doing the re-saw, but it can do it using my super-dooper re-saw guide:eek::
2-Resaw.jpg
I wanted to put a lot of hand work into this guy so my HF no-set pull saw and my blue chips got a workout:
3-Shaping-Fingers-2.jpg
Ok, I'm close on the rough form:
4-Rough-Form.jpg
Clean up saw marks, etc. with a scraper. Bottom is BB ply, thick for weight and floating to allow for wood movement:
5-Scraped-and-burnished.jpg
Trying to visualize peg positions, I don't want this thing perfect. I'm after a refined/rough sorta look:
6-Before-Peg-Holes.jpg
Shaping the walnut pegs:
7 Shape-Pegs-2-1.jpg
I start with a 3/16" square and work it down leaving a little cap on top:
8 Peg-Stages-2.jpg
Trying out the look:
9 Working-peg-fit-1-posted.jpg
And here's where this post left off last time:
A-B4-Finish-2.jpg

Finished shots further down in the thread.

Last edited:
She has got to be pleased with that. The three lock lugs are just enough and the square dark pegs work real nice.:thumb:

Thanks Shaz. I need to start taking pictures during dry-fit. I can't help but feel the peg heads should be a wee-bit bigger. Never noticed till I saw the photo.

I see this hobby as a journey not a destination (boy, don't I wax philosophical). I enjoy learning and trying to get better with each piece. :D

Thanks Shaz. I need to start taking pictures during dry-fit. I can't help but feel the peg heads should be a wee-bit bigger. (In looking at the piece I can see your thoughts. Rest on it and live with it a bit. :)) Never noticed till I saw the photo.

I see this hobby as a journey not a destination (boy, don't I wax philosophical) ( "aye laddie" :rofl::rofl:). I enjoy learning and trying to get better with each piece. :D
Me too Glenn. That is an attitude that helps me justify a low bid sometimes. Money is only payment for me learning on the job.:D:rofl:

Hi Glenn.

I love it! simple, powerfull and effective, looking forward to see it finished. Great work! Your mom is going to love it, I hope she is not surfing the forum or you would have spoiled her the surprise

Only a few questions, are there any compartments inside and moreover what is its size? A scale indicator next to it like a beverage can, a pencil or tool would give idea of it, It seems from the books (are they books?) behind that it is about 10 x 5 x 6 inches more or less.

What sort of hinges have you put on it if any.

I see this hobby as a journey not a destination (boy, don't I wax philosophical). I enjoy learning and trying to get better with each piece. :D

glenn, first cool box!
i view my job exactly the same way;)......it may not pay as well as a "real" job but i don`t care, it`s all about learnin` and striving to catch the all elusive perfection....ain`t it great?

Great box Glenn - as a big Greene & Greene fan I have to love the joinery - very reminiscent (for me at least ) of their work. Well Done!

Hi Glenn.

I love it! simple, powerfull and effective, looking forward to see it finished. Great work! Your mom is going to love it, I hope she is not surfing the forum or you would have spoiled her the surprise

Only a few questions, are there any compartments inside and moreover what is its size? A scale indicator next to it like a beverage can, a pencil or tool would give idea of it, It seems from the books (are they books?) behind that it is about 10 x 5 x 6 inches more or less.

What sort of hinges have you put on it if any.

Thanks for looking Toni. No compartments. Lift lid. It is to hold some stuff she keeps on her desk. Box is about 4" x 4" x 7". I would have preferred a lower profile to make the dimensions "look" better but it is sized for a purpose. Although standing a measuring device next to it would have been easier; the box side material is 3/8" thick and the peg heads are just under 3/16".

Great box Glenn - as a big Greene & Greene fan I have to love the joinery - very reminiscent (for me at least ) of their work. Well Done!

You found me out. I did the joints after seeing a G&G side table. The drawer had these cool, big, clunky, pegged finger joints. I used power tools to hog out the bulk of the material and shaped them with hand tools. I was shooting for "obviously hand made" without slipping into "obviously home made" :D.

Here's the finished product. The size is dictated by placement and function. I would have liked it a little lower profile. Cherry with a very thinned down waxed amber shellac (probably around a 1/2lb cut). The walnut top and pegs were BLO'd then paste-waxed along with the cherry.
B-Mom-b-day-box-fin-1.jpg

C-Mom-b-day-box-fin-2.jpg

Thanks for going along for the ride :wave:.

I like it. You improved on my idea. The pegs are a nice addition. I think you nailed what I was looking for.

Gave mine to my niece and she seemed to be happy with it. Didn't get great reviews on here so I never made any more.

I like it. You improved on my idea. The pegs are a nice addition. I think you nailed what I was looking for.

Gave mine to my niece and she seemed to be happy with it. Didn't get great reviews on here so I never made any more.

Wow, that's trippy. I thought I got the idea from Gary Rogowski's G&G end table but now I wonder if I didn't see your box and subliminally factor that in :huh:. I do like that over-emphasized joinery look:D.

You probably came up with it on your own too. G&G inspired me too.

Regardless I like yours better than mine. The proportions are better and pegs are great. Might have to try another one someday.

The finished box looks very nice, Glenn. As I mentioned about Jeff's box, I'm personally not real fond of the oversized box joints, but I think the peg details help "lighten" the look and amplify the craftsmanship. I'm guessing Mom will be very pleased. :thumb:

Hi Glenn.

It looks very good, most problaby your mom is going to ask for another one:).

If you make another one following this design, why not giving it a try at lengthening the joints so that they would portrude on the corners, let's say about half an inch or so? as in a wooden hut made out crossed logs?

I look forward to see your next project:wave:

Thanks Rennie. Here's the Darrell Peart piece that inspired the joinery. I erroneously attributed it to Gary Rogowski; sorry about that.
greenenightstand.jpg

Hi Glenn, :wave:
You know that what ever you make your mom she will be so proud of. Fortunately she has you making things for her so she should be proud, you have a real fine piece there. You do good stuff.:thumb:
Shaz