most maddening computer problem ever

Frank Fusco

:soapbox:Yesterday, despite my several layers of protection, I got some kind of intrusive (fake?) security warning. It is a blatant attempt to sell me more virus protection programs. Screens pop up constantly, there is a new 'Security Toolbar 7.1' . I used normal uninstall to try to get rid of it but that didn't work. The more I click trying to find an uninstall, the more screens and messages that open. I don't know if this is really from Microsoft or a fake. But, right now, it looks like a complete format is going to be necessary to eliminate it. To describe my mood at the moment would get me banned from FW because of inappropritate language. I'm unhappy. :soapbox:

Ain't Windoze Grand! :D

I had one of those, and it was a real pain to get rid of, turns out it was a security flaw on M$ part, I figured out the fix, but now without the help of some great people on some online computer anti-virus kind of sites.

Good luck, you will need it!:rolleyes:

That just happened to my friends computer yersterday. The pop up screens were so bad that we could not get to anything to attempt a fix. Finally had to do the F10 thing and restore the whole system. I am so glad that I do not have to deal with sort of thing anymore. Good Luck Frank! Allen

Frank,
I really feel for you at the moment. We've been fighting/fixing all sorts of issues with our computers and other hardware the past few weeks. I find the hardware is easy - if I can see it I can fix it. This software stuff though - I have almost resorted to 12GA. rev 1.01 a few times.:eek:

Good luck, I wish I could do more for you other than commiserate.

Wes

Frank

Before you do a format, try downloading AVG anti-virus and/or Lavasoft Ad-Aware which are both pretty good, free to try and safe (I use both and have for years).

AVG - http://free.grisoft.com/

Ad-Aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Good Luck

I would also do a quick google on "Security Toolbar 7.1" - lots of information out there.

I have AVG, that and Spyware Search and Destroy are some of the layers of protection it got by.

Tried some of the suggestions. Most places I went I got more pop-ups trying to sell me more virus/bot protection. Gave up and formatted. Did a lot of back-up on CDs first. Now, I'm having problems putting my Favorites and Address Book back in. Sure don't want to do individually. 'puter is about four years old, pretty ancient by computer standards, needed a good enema anyway.

Got it, but not by choice. I went to Download.com and clicked to download Spyware Search and Destroy but once I clicked, the Spywarebot screen came up and it downloaded. So now, I'm suspicious of it too. I'm beginning to think that our 'protectors' are our worst enemies.

Why are you suspicious of it? Sounds like it did what you wanted - you clicked to download an anti-spyware program, it downloaded. Isn't "search and destroy" Spybot's trademark or something?