Morris Chairs, Revisited

Jim Shaver

Hi,

One More:rolleyes:

By request I am posting these chairs. I made them in 2004. I used 5-6 different plans for design ideas and proportions, the base of my choices was a plan by Canadian woodworker Gary Walchuck.

I made one chair with book matched curly cherry and flame birch
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

The second chair was made using curly quarter sawn white oak (talk about HEAVY)
IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Both chairs were finished with clear oils and a top coat of a poly/oil /thinner mix.

The leather work was done by Barrington’s in Toronto, great guys there:thumb:

Take care,
Jim

Jim, I'm in awe. Every detail is superb. The wood is fantastic and your grain match sets it off. Joinery, proportion and finish are beautiful. If I'm ever in Ontario, I want to sit in these chairs.

Thanks for posting

Well Jim, the rules here prevent me from typing the first words that came out of my mouth when I saw the cherry/birch chair, nor can I repeat what I said out loud when I saw the oak version.

Suffice to say, I'm blown away. Gorgeous wood and excellent work. :bow:

By request I am posting these chairs. I made them in 2004. I used 5-6 different plans for design ideas and proportions, the base of my choices was a plan by Canadian woodworker Gary Walchuck.

Hey Jim!!

Was that an issue of CHW that you got Gary's plans from? If so, do you remember which? I have it back to about '97, I should go have a look for it if I ever get the urge to make one of these to match my love seat.

From the very last photo it looks like there is a plug in the arm. Are the arms screwed + plugged to connect them to the corbels below?

And about the tilting mechanism...
jims-chair.jpg

...Are those dowels just held in those holes with friction? Are they solid and stable? I would worry that that is one area where things would wear. Hmm, I suppose you could put a rare earth magnet on the dowel and in the holes...

Tell me more?

best,
...art

Pretty work, Jim. Nothing like a classic style reproduced in beautiful wood to perfection. You are quite a craftsman. Your furniture projects belie your skill at turning methinks.....

By the way of a hijack, I recently looked at your tutorial on turning boxes. I bet you don't remember that. Well, all I have to say about that is, get busy turning some boxes. I would enjoy seeing some of your box turning work.

Hope all is well with you.

Mike

Thanks Everyone,

These chairs have become well worn in and I enjoy them very much.

Art the pegs do work, I used a piece of metal rod , epoxied into the wood turned stop dowel. It's a solid system for even a man my size. I do have a copy of the article...email me.

Mike, I remember that well, I like turning boxes, not any where near the turner you are, your boxes are amazing....I documented a process for some one at Badger Pond and kept it, posted it, the principle is fine, the artistic value is nil...LOL:rofl:

Wow, them chairs are exellent. Great choice of woods. I personaly likethe second one, curly qswo. That is the first time seeing that type of wood and will have to try to get my hands on some.

Honestly Jim, I never liked Morris chairs, but the work you did on those chairs is so awesome that now I want to build one for myself. The wood selection really makes a huge difference. It's shocking to me that a style of chair that I once thought was ugly, now looks so good.

Also I looked at your other posts, your work really is top notch, Jim, and so is your eye for wood selection.

Last edited: