Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holes in my walls and floors

Holes in my walls and floors

We are heavy into a bathroom remodel and on Wednesday gutted the room to the subfloor and drywall walls. I had to cut a 2'x2' hole in the wall behind where the vanity will be to do some drain work and cut a 6"x10" hole hole in the subfloor next to where the toilet used to be to get access to cut off the elbow and closet flange and install a cap. There will be a cabinet over this area when we are done. There are also about 6 holes in the floor where supply pipes used to come through that won't be reused.

My question is there a reason I should patch all these holes? The floor holes will get cement board and then tile over them. The hole in the wall will be hidden by the vanity. I'm wondering if it is a fire-spread issue? This is the first floor over a basement with an open ceiling.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-24-2007 at 12:57 PM.

what material is the subfloor matt? if it`s particle board or osb you`d be money ahead to remove the entire floor, if it`s 3/4 plywood or advantech then cut any hole larger than 4 square inches out to the joists, scab nailers to the joists and screw nailers to the sheetgoods between the joists and drop in your patch with a liberal slathering of construction adhesive and fasten it in place......before you place your "cement board" read the lable affixed to the sheet, there are nailing patterns that must be adhered to as well as most manufacturers instist on bedding the sheets in thinset for any warrantee to hold.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Its thick OSB. It would be a nightmare to replace--not a project I'm willing to tackle. Its not a square room --actually two rooms and we aren't taking out the shower.

Edit: I know what you are saying--about flex. It is a very solid floor.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-24-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We are heavy into a bathroom remodel and on Wednesday gutted the room to the subfloor and drywall walls. I had to cut a 2'x2' hole in the wall behind where the vanity will be to do some drain work and cut a 6"x10" hole hole in the subfloor next to where the toilet used to be to get access to cut off the elbow and closet flange and install a cap. There will be a cabinet over this area when we are done. There are also about 6 holes in the floor where supply pipes used to come through that won't be reused.

My question is there a reason I should patch all these holes? The floor holes will get cement board and then tile over them. The hole in the wall will be hidden by the vanity. I'm wondering if it is a fire-spread issue? This is the first floor over a basement with an open ceiling.
    (This is all IMHO, I'm neither a builder, nor have code memorized, just a guy who's worked on his house a few times)

- the hole behind the vanity I would patch with a piece of drywall, just so that things in the vanity don't drop into the gap. This is with the assumption that your vanity will be backless, as most are. I would not bother taping or mudding it. Who knows, you might want to access the plumbing again.

- the small holes in the floor -- the 3/4" holes for water pipes that are moved -- I wouldn't bother with.

- the big hole - the 6x10" where you cut a hole to patch the toilet, I think should get a patch, as Tod suggested. You want that floor to be reinforced and solid.

But I don't understand what you mean by "open ceiling". If there is no finished ceiling in the basement, then I would have expected you to cut-n-patch the soil pipe from below, rather than cut a hole in the floor.

...art

ps: aren't you putting electric radiant heating wires into the mud below the floor tiles? Now is the time, Matt!! Warm floor under your bare feet in the morning!

Its thick OSB. It would be a nightmare to replace--not a project I'm willing to tackle. Its not a square room --actually two rooms and we aren't taking out the shower.

Edit: I know what you are saying--about flex. It is a very solid floor.
    it`s your call matt, just know that both hardibacker and durarock will wick moisture. grout even with the best sealer money can buy will eventually become semipermiable unless the sealer is reapplied religiously.
    i know it`s more work to do it right but we all know what happens to osb when it`s left in contact with moisture......
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Plug the holes... Nuff said, host of reasons why and only reason not to is in the realm of lazy and cheap (We all know you are not cheap or lazy so why start now.) do the job right or hire a pro to do it for you.

Eons down the road when "This Old House" redoes your bathroom, Norm and Silva's grandchildren will use your job as an example showing how the previous owner took shortcuts and half/wayed this job. Their historian will do the research and say this is an example of Matt Meiser's work, once he was a fine craftsman but this is of historical significance as it marks the decline in his work, the job where he started cutting corners so he could spend more time at the computer and bier haus...

Just finish the job completely, which includes covering the holes...
    Last edited by tod evans; 08-24-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: fixed faux-pas

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    But I don't understand what you mean by "open ceiling". If there is no finished ceiling in the basement, then I would have expected you to cut-n-patch the soil pipe from below, rather than cut a hole in the floor.
    Yes, there's no finished ceiling in the basement. However, this just happened to be right above the main trunk line for the furnace. Even using one of these cable saws for PVC, I could't get a straight cut without opening up from above.

I looked at the electric radiant heat. It wouldn't be too bad, except for the fact that our service panel is full. So I'd have to upgrade that. And its in a finished wall in the laundry room so it becomes an even bigger project yet. Its a 200A panel, just short on space because we have 220 circuits for the well, my shop, the hot tub, stove and A/C eating up space. The 220 circuits eat the space of 4 110 circuits.

I looked at the electric radiant heat. It wouldn't be too bad, except for the fact that our service panel is full. So I'd have to upgrade that. And its in a finished wall in the laundry room so it becomes an even bigger project yet. Its a 200A panel, just short on space because we have 220 circuits for the well, my shop, the hot tub, stove and A/C eating up space. The 220 circuits eat the space of 4 110 circuits.
    Dear Matt's wife.

You know, you'd be much happier with a gas stove. Instant-on, instant-off. Much better control for cooking. All the pros use gas stoves. Then you could pull that 220 circuit for the stove and use it for radiant in-floor heating in the bathroom.

(While you're at it, get a gas dryer, and you'll have even more space in the panel... )

Best,
    ...art

ps: Honest, I'm just trying to help. Really!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    (This is all IMHO, I'm neither a builder, nor have code memorized, just a guy who's worked on his house a few times)

- the hole behind the vanity I would patch with a piece of drywall, just so that things in the vanity don't drop into the gap. This is with the assumption that your vanity will be backless, as most are. I would not bother taping or mudding it. Who knows, you might want to access the plumbing again.

- the small holes in the floor -- the 3/4" holes for water pipes that are moved -- I wouldn't bother with.

- the big hole - the 6x10" where you cut a hole to patch the toilet, I think should get a patch, as Tod suggested. You want that floor to be reinforced and solid.

...art

ps: aren't you putting electric radiant heating wires into the mud below the floor tiles? Now is the time, Matt!! Warm floor under your bare feet in the morning!
    I will ditto this with one caveat. Fill the 3/4 empty pipe holes with expanding foam. Not for strength or support, but it will give spiders, etc. one less place to hang their hat.

Actually my wife would be fine with disconnecting the stove and eating out every day.