Best Tool You Ever Bought?

read the first page,
and in my shop, it has to be my first major tool: My Ridgid 3612 table saw. I honestly would not be building my shop if I didn't have that saw. Not that I've used it a lot in the buildup, but I wouldn't have the core of the shop if I didn't have a table saw.
Festoolies and EZ kits aside of course.

oh!........woodworkin` tools:rolleyes:........probably the shaper.......but i do use my 9/16 wrench every day, not so with the shaper.

MVC-532S.JPG

Tough one to answer. First, the definition of 'tool'. My first response was my flint lock rifle. Then my old Massey-Harris tractor. Or my computer because of all the new worlds I can explore with it and it extends my creative abilities. But, considering why we are here, wood working tool. Have to say, my lathe. It has brought me many hours of pleasure and relaxing therapy. My next one will bring even more.

Easy, toss up between two items.

Small 12' (I think?) tape measure. Fits in my apron pocket, its light weight and it locks when you slide the tape out. I use it on almost every board in my shop.

Second, but used just as much is a good pencil. Don't laugh! Think about how much you use it!

I couldn't work without these two.

Dowelmax doweling jig. Dowels have been my preferred method of joinery for years but the Dowelmax has made joining very fast and accurate. This tool is a pleasure to use.

I have a shop full of tools but I would not be without my Clifton #5

Clifton.jpg

I still have my original Stanley #5 and that is special but the Clifton is just something else, especially when the iron has just been honed.... Great!

Ralph;)

I love my sliding table saw (once you go slider you will never go back), especially the scoring blade...

But I'd still have to say my electric pencil sharpener. I use it so much every day... that I'm toying with the idea of hooking it up to my dust collector>:huh:

My favorite tool

My current favorite tool would have to be the Kreg jig. I am in the process
of building a router cabinet with pocket holes. But like everyone else I love
all of my tools and they are all my favorites.

For me time spent out at clients' homes fitting furniture is down-time in the shop, so any tool that speeds up the installation process is invaluable.

So the best tool I ever bought is...

... the Fein Multimaster!

The one with the most history, inaccuracy, and list of projects? The one that I stayed up nights thinking about before I bought it?
The one that I couldn't fit in my car with my pregnant wife when I bought it new?
I thought about leaving her standing on the corner in the snow while I took it home.:rofl:
The one that made many toys and furniture for my children?
The one that had me question my (lack of) skill because of the un repeatable cuts?
The one I rehabbed 3 houses and built 2 garages?
The one Sears thought was so dangerous they offered to buy it back?:huh:
The one I couldn't give away at a garage sale?
The one that sits in my garagemahal still giving (inaccurate) service?
That would be my Cman 10 RAS. :dunno:
I doesn't do good work but it got me through.:eek:

Tyler Live Like You Mean It!

My Rigid miter saw stand that folds up like a dolly with the saw on it. It is probably the most helpful thing I have. Since my garage is packed I can't have a dedicated miter saw table so this is the next best thing. Plus I wheel it out in the yard so less saw dust in the garage to clean up. Mine has a Dewalt saw on it, but you get the picture. Buy one if you don't have a dedicated table made for yours. You won't be sorry. They go on sale for $99 every so often.

Attachments

• MS Stand.jpg
    MS Stand.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Best Power Tool: General 350 Table saw - 25 years old and still going strong!

Best Manual Tool: Record # 5 Corrugated Sole Jack Plane - I reach for it a lot!

"Best" = a combination of most use, most helpful, and a reasonable price/performance point

Best tool - Onsrud Inverted pin Router. Built like a tank, does the job it does better than anything else that I could find. Cost more than I have ever spent on any vehicle I have ever owned!

That would have to be my Festool sheet cutting setup. I couldn't handle full sheets of plywood without it.

DT
I'm with you on this Don. I no longer need to subject our marriage to the strife caused by having Margaret help my wrestle sheet goods through a table saw.

My Festool 150 Rotex sander comes a very close second. That tool makes me (sometimes) look forward to sanding.

When I respond to these things I am never sure where it is going to appear in the heirarchy (outline).

Anyway my answer is a surprise even to me. It is a $20.00 Li-ion screwdriver from Costco. Durofix is its name. I knew I used it all of the time. However, I found out how much I really like it when I had to do without it for a couple weeks. My Costco didn't have them. I had my son, Glenn, looking. I tried other stores. Finally my store had them again. Man I was REALLY glad to see that little guy.

It is ergonomically grreat. Has more torque than you would think such a small "toy" could have. It runs at full guts until the last 4 or 5 seconds. When it hits its max torque it does not fight, jitter, or anything like that...it just, gently stops.

Since it is sort-of like a drill (it has a handle and goes round and round) I am going to side-step and mention how much I like my 12v Ridgid drill. It makes my Firestorm feel and act like a piece of junk. It is much lighter than the 18v that I use and so it is more comfortable. It seems to have as much power as the 18v (Firestorm and HF) and in tight spaces or overhead it is much more comfortable to use. It has the easiest chuck to operate that I have encountered.

By the way Glenn, don't hit anything tender with that 10oz ballpein hammer.

Enjoy

Jim