Getting ready for construction

Bartee Lamar

Well, the DC is sitting on the floor in the basement and the new router will be delivered Tuesday. So it is time to spend some quality time cleaning up the basement. Hopefully also painting some walls for better lighting.

Here is a teaser picture, you can look at the web album for a complete view of the mess.

IMG_1016.jpg

Here is a layout of the shop. You can see in the upper left corner where the DC will go. ( Hoping that it will fit ).

ShopFull.jpg

I have all day tomorrow ( Saturday ) to get a real good start on the clean up. More pictures tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Bartee what program did you use to do the drawing of your shop layout? I'm thinking of adding on to my shop and want to redo my tool layout. Your drawing looks very professional....and yea you got your work cut out for you :thumb:

Doug

Doug,

The program is MS VISIO 2002 using building templates and a group of templates I found on the web for shop stuff.

It is really pretty easy to build the tool shapes. I created the shape for my Grizzly DC based on the exact dimensions.

Using this I can see I have a problem where I want to put the DC because the cannister will not fit thru the opening by the hot water heater. I am going to lay this out on the floor for real so I can see if I can live with it.

Here an updated plan with my DC piping. I used the HVAC template which allows the actual sizing of the pipe to 6". I really needed this to estimate how much the PVC is going to cost.

Shop DC pipe.jpg

How is your planning coming for your new mega basement shop ?

Doug,

The program is MS VISIO 2002 using building templates and a group of templates I found on the web for shop stuff.

It is really pretty easy to build the tool shapes. I created the shape for my Grizzly DC based on the exact dimensions.

Using this I can see I have a problem where I want to put the DC because the cannister will not fit thru the opening by the hot water heater. I am going to lay this out on the floor for real so I can see if I can live with it.

Here an updated plan with my DC piping. I used the HVAC template which allows the actual sizing of the pipe to 6". I really needed this to estimate how much the PVC is going to cost.

View attachment 11920

How is your planning coming for your new mega basement shop ?

Thanks for the info I will check into it.

I've decided against putting my shop at home.Too many cons and not enough pros. For now I'm going to expand it or move it to a bigger location. That's why I'm doing a new shop layout. Right now I'm using the grizzley shop planner but it's a little limited on tools. Alot of tools I have aren't on their list.

Doug

Sorry guys, no pictures tonight. I did 10 hours and filled 15 contractor garbage bags.

I got 2 of the 3 areas done and have about 10 pieces of furniture for the local charity to collect.

You know somethings you really don't need like 1994 checks and records. And so many oher things.

And somewhere in the middle of it I decided the wood rack really needed some organizing.

I promise pictures tomorrow.

So I know it wasn't a 12-14 hour day like Marty, but I really did enjoy getting the shop ready to be a working shop.

good nite y'all

Well after 10 hours yesterday and 6 hours today here is what I did.

This is the future assembly area, finishing etc. Hope to have a torsion box table some day.

Before

IMG_1008.jpg

After Amazing what a coat of white paint will do. I have to put another coat on tomorrow, but I am very excited about how this is going to improve the overall feel of the shop.

IMG_1044.jpg

This was the junk end of the shop, really LOML's future room, ( Some day in the far future ).

Before

IMG_1018.jpg

After the storage space revisited. I completely reorgainized all of this storayge space. It is really great now. I even created some new wood storage.

IMG_1040.jpg

Now of the space where the DC will be installed. This just had to be completely cleaned out.

Before

IMG_1014.jpg

After

IMG_1046.jpg

This is all of the stuff that will be going to charity, hopefully the will pick it up. Once this is done this end of the basement will be comletely empty ready for LOML future office and private space.

IMG_1042.jpg

I organized my plywood storage. This will be very helpful. It occured to me how helpful it would be to know the size of the piece without having to pull it out.

IMG_1049.jpg

The stereo had to be moved since it was on the old glue up table. I put up a shelf in the corner. The the FM would not work, so I connected my little MP3 player with FM and got GREAT reception. It also has 500 songs that I like so I how have a OLD / NEW entertainment system for the shop.

IMG_1045.jpg

And last but NOT least, all of this will go to the trash pickup, a few bags each week. Something like 18 construction sized garbage bags.

IMG_1050.jpg