Scored and Lost all in the same inning

No its not a Fleabay whine, I actually had an old Craftsman Tablesaw given to me. A 1960's vintage tablesaw that was all running, all good and complete with a few extensions and whatnot. A very nice saw and identical to the one I now use in my shop.

Well two years ago I was told I could have it by my Father-In-Law but never went down and got it until last week. But the thing is my dad is now getting into woodworking. Ever since buying a casket making business, he is all gung-ho to start woodworking.

Well as the tablesaw sat on my truck, I realized it would be a ton of work to get my old saw out, and my "new" saw in, and since it was sitting in the back of my truck, it would be a whole lot easier to just give it to my dad and keep the saw I had. The "new" one is a bit better in shape, but I can keep the old one going.

As I said, I scored a tablesaw and lost it, all in the same inning.

AH, you must be the "good" son. I have to fill that role also. Sarcasm aside; good going. I recently got my dad to scale down from jewelery, picture frames, ceramics, leather work, photography, stained glass, etc., etc. (plus he still works at 81, cause he likes it). Anyway he never got to do anything 'cause he had too many interests, too much stock and not enough room. He's now focused on WWing and having a ball.

Its so funny, my father is, and has always been, a salesman. So he had this idea and just went for it, making pet and human caskets. Anyway he goes out and gets an order for 100 caskets....I know, completely backwards from most woodworkers, who get into woodworking first, then try to sell their projects.

So now he has a problem, he has to make 100 caskets in the next year and is not a woodworker. So he figures the best way to make caskets is to buy the tools needed to make caskets, even if they are old.

So he finds an old casket making factory near us and enters negotiations to buy it. This casket factory made caskets for over 100 years before it was shut down in 1997 expectantly. They literally stopped halfway through the shift and never returned. Sewing machines, table saws, planers and glue-ups are half way through their operations, just frozen in time which is kind of cool, but kind of eerie too.

So now he is practicing his casket making in his garage on pet caskets. He is really getting into these too, to the tune of making my mom angry because its all he talks about 24/7/365...caskets, which tends to give some people the creeps.

So I find myself in a funny spot. I am trying to coach my dad on how to be a better woodworker. He is doing great though for a new woodworker...well except for the finishing part. He ain't too good at that yet. Still its odd to give him some pointers instead of him giving them to me.

OK, sure, but I bet that the look on your Dad's face and knowing you done good, was worth SOMETHING was it not :thumb:

No pics, didn't happen :D :wave:

Hey, I was going to let him slide on this one. I mean he did say he got it and lost it all in one fell swoop!! :D
I bet the look on his Dad's face was worth more to him than the saw would have been. Now the look on his Mom's face....., well, we won't go there, will we?:rolleyes: Jim.