Really need some help here

Chuck Hanger

I really need a bandsaw so as to cut some circles for that spinny thing that I bought earlier this year. Please take a look as he will only hold for me tomorrow. Many inquires I guess and seems like he has it priced reasonably.
Not much information on the ad, but it is a 14", no extra blades, has been laid on it side to transfer to storage (where it is now). Going to try to make it in the morning if anything from you folks sounds positive. He bought it new less than 2 years ago (Nov). 3/4 HP motor. About all that I know.
Thanks for any help that you all can give
Chuck

You know how it is to get old. Sorry but thanks for replying so quickly.

mailto:sale-403927634@craigslist.org?subject=Lifetime%20warrenty%20Rigid%20Band%20Saw%20-%20$250

Chuck

Chuck,

I don't know. I would go into that with my eyes open. $250's a good price for a 14" bandsaw. But here's a price for a brand new one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0580

Tough call. If you know a lot about bandsaws, you might be able to make an educated judgement about its condition when you see it. On the other hand... ;)

Let us know how it turns out... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

FWIW the Ridgid bandsaws don't have that good of a reputation...

Vibration issues and out of balance wheels...

Just passing on what I've heard through various message boards including Ridgid's own board :dunno:

Good luck;)

Dont know what Ridgid Lifetime Warranty policy is that the seller is emphasizing in the banner text, but most lifetime warranties dont transfer if resold. I'd do some Ridgid homework first if that's one of the things you were counting on.

Me too on the hesitant part. I would want to see it running, with a blade in place first. My rule of thumb is 50% of new price for something in good condition. Maybe at $175.00 it would be worth the risk.

I'd offer $150, and if he does not budge, I'd walk away.

You really have no way of knowing what you are getting into.

Why did he only use it once? :dunno:

The rusty table is no big thing.

I cannot see, but I fear it may be one of them low price point saws that has three knobs holding the blade covers on, instead of two hinges and one knob, if this is true, I'll tell you that three knob thing gets old FAST......

Take a look, offer him $150, see what he says, the worst he can say is "No".

Cheers!:wave:

I'd offer $150, and if he does not budge, I'd walk away.

Snip
I cannot see, but I fear it may be one of them low price point saws that has three knobs holding the blade covers on, instead of two hinges and one knob, if this is true, I'll tell you that three knob thing gets old FAST......

\
Take a look, offer him $150, see what he says, the worst he can say is "No".

Cheers!:wave:

Stuart
That part about the three knobs is so true...
If I actually used my band saw much I have to add a hinge or replace the band saw..

Garry

Another sacry thing

is that he has had it stored on it's side for 1.5 years in a storage trailer that you see in the background of the photo. I was always told that you never lay a bandsaw down on it's side. Is this true? or am I misunderstanding the fact of how easy it is to throw the wheels out of alignment? Don't really know about this and don't know how to check it without running it, which he says is still in storage. It is a 140 mile round trip for me that I don't really need to waste the time if it is not a bargain. You fellows are giving me the answers to just stay home and keep looking.
Problem is that you seldom see a bandsaw come up for sale around here. Really want a 16" anyway, but think that the only way that you find one that is good is to go new, otherwise no one wants to sell theirs.
Thanks for all of the help,
Chuck
Stu thanks for the advice on the offering, but really don't want to make the drive and not get it (which maybe I shouldn't anyway)

I think that you made a good choice to "stay home and keep looking". I know how you feel though as there are very few good preowned woodworking tools around here either. I would feel much better buying from a woodworker that is upgrading and still has the unit in his shop, especially if it was a brand that has a really good reputation and that parts are readily available for. But you are right about guys (or girls) that have a good working bandsaw seem to just hang onto them, sometimes even when they upgrade to a larger saw. New might be the best answer in the end.

Last edited:
FWIW the Ridgid bandsaws don't have that good of a reputation...

Vibration issues and out of balance wheels...

Just passing on what I've heard through various message boards including Ridgid's own board :dunno:

Good luck;)

In about 6 or 7 months I will hopefully be in the market for a 14in bandsaw. I did some research on the Ridgid and I too found alot of complaints like what Jim mentioned. If you go to Ridgid's site and look in their user message boards you will see what people are saying about it. As I recall the vibration and wheel balance are two of the biggest complains that i have read about. Some owners had to shim the wheels, others had to drill holes in them to try to balance them out.

Thanks for all of the replys

Still need to know If the old fellow that told me not to lay a bandsaw on it's side is a true and accurate statement. Would sound reasonable to me with all the threads that I have read about aligning the wheels. Just for knowledge for the future.
Thanks all,
Chuck

Chuck,

I know what I think but I am not a bandsaw expert so my comments would be of no value as far a laying a bandsaw on it's side. I think that I would start a new thread with a title that would attract the experts for their opinions. Maybe something like "Laying a bandsaw on it's side-bad idea or OK?". Sam Blasco, MM representative, usually comments when he sees a thread about bandsaws. There are a few other experts here also.

I do not see laying a 14" bandsaw on it's side as being a major problem, it it was laid down gently, but I could see it being a problem with the older HUGE saws, they have so much mass, and were not meant to be horizontal, who knows, it could cause some problems? :dunno:

Don't get into a machine you are going to regret buying, the price, up front, might be cheap, but the problems and hassles may make it expensive in the long run.

I'd pass, look for a better 14" saw, or save your money up and get the 16" you really want. Sure a new 16" saw will hurt the pocket book, but your kids and grand kids will be using it long after you are gone.

Cheap poor quality tools are a false economy.

Just my two yen's worth! :wave: