Thread: What will I need?

What will I need?

OK, so some of you know that I'm thinking about "taking a spin" and jumping into the vortex. So, what do I need to sharpen turning tools? I have a Tormek and the website says that they sell jigs for turning.
    Will that do or do I need to get a slow speed grinder and other jigs as well?

Thanks for the help

Jay

Hi Jay. Personally, I prefer the Wolverine System, but Tormek is a good system. Since you have spent the money for the Tormek, it makes sense to add the turning tool jigs. The slow speed of the Tormek is a benefit. While taking longer to sharper, it won't take the temper out of the steel, especially Carbon Steel.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Jay,

Did you get the DVD "Getting to Know Your Tromek" from Sharp Tools USA? It has a lot about sharping your turning tools. If you do not have it let me know and you can look at mine. I don't know about the turning tools personally but it looks like that it does a good job.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 08-26-2007 at 04:57 PM.

use what ya` got jay....at least untill you find it can`t do what ya` need....you`ll be spending plenty on a lathe and assorted accys. without setting up a whole `nuther sharpening station. you should get good servicable results from the tormek and if later you need to go faster then reevaluate....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Jet Mini

Jay:

If you want drive to Melbourne and try a jet Mini

Come on up.

Pete

Words of wisdom from Tod. A lot of turners, professionals included, sharpen freehand.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hi Jay, After passing up the Jet at the show last March, I bought the Tormek the next week and really like it. I have always had BTSS (Bad Tool Sharpener Syndrome), Sharpening has always given me problems. Consider the Woodturner's package from Tormek, It will handle most every turning tool.

Good Luck and Welcome to spinny world!!

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Jay I would use what you have and get the turning tools accy. to go with it. I used my brothers Tormek (I have the wolverine) and it does a fine job just a little slower than the other. It puts a good edge on and without the heat.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys, that is great advice! I was surfing around a woodturning site last night and it seemed that there was a lot of dissent concerning the tormek system (can't remember which site of course). Lots of comments about how hard it was to get a consistent grindI knew it would take longer to grind, but hey, I'm semi retired so I've got the time!

Alan, I have the DVD but it is in Fl and I am currently in West VA headed for Nova Scotia so it will be awhile before I head back south. Pete, thanks for the invitation, I may take you up on that in October when we return to FL-- and you can show me how you do those wonderful pens.

Jay

Hi Jay,

I have both the Tormek and the Wolverine so, I'll take a stab at this. The Wolverine is faster but, no better. In fact, the Tormek is far superior in the edge it delivers. Additionally, if you start out with the Tormek and use it often, it's porbably not any different than the Wolverine. Your Tormek will do just fine. I would also suggest using an inexpensive "set" of tools for your first foray into turning. Probably the best value in a lathe for starting would be the General VS Maxi or the new larger Jet mini.