Well it's been a long road, but I finally got the first machine hookup done this morning and powered up the DC to see how things work. So far, I'm a happy camper.
In a very ironic twist, it's been exactly a year since I started a thread with my ClearView DC installation saga and about a week after that when I got the unit powered up enough to run the brief shoebox test.
The remainder of the fall months last year were spent building an insulated closet around the unit, putting vent and filters in the closet wall, getting filters and cleanout installed, bin sensor and alarm light wiring connected, and other odds and ends. Stopped working on the whole affair on Christmas day and didn't return to it until Mid April due to brutally cold temps here this winter. It was just way too cold to do any work in the unheated GaShop, even with the propane space heater running.
Been working on the ducting since April with quite a few detours along the way:
- Experiments with bending PVC with a heat blanket and wiring up the controller for the blanket. Didn't pan out as planned for bending the ducting, but it did get put to use flattening PVC for cutting into flanges around duct ends.
- Lots of experimenting to modify the LV blastgates in the rafters for spring loading so I can work them from below
- Lots of experimenting to come up with the Rube Goldberg quick connects
At this point the machine I'm using the most is the 12" disc/6x48" sander. I'm using the disc to square up the ends of PVC after cutting with the jigsaw. I was getting tired of spewing fine white dust around and will need to keep using it as I get more machines hooked up, so that's the one I started with. There's a couple of minor hose/fitting changes I want to go back and do, but right now it's functional. I'll get pics later of that.
One item I was extremely pleased with was the big decrease in noise since measuring it back around the time of the shoe-box test. For comparison I'll put the original posted measurements in red. The new measurements now are with the surrounding closet, filters, ducts, chip bin, and machine hookup installed. FYI - a 3dB decrease is percieved by the human ear as 1/2 as loud.
6 ft from the DC - no filters, ducts, collection bin yet installed.
101 dB - C weighting
97 dB - A weighting
86 dB - C weighting
80 dB - A weighting
96 dB - C weighting with closet door open
90 dB - A weighting with closet door open
6 ft from the DC through a 8" concrete block wall with 1.5" styro insulation, drywall, and paneling.
71 dB - C weighting
57 dB - A weighting
Hopefully 2" styro on the DC side of that concrete block will get these last numbers down significantly.
66 dB - C weighting
50 dB - A weighting
The C weighting is checking 32-10000 Hz and the A weighting 500-10000 Hz.
The 2nd location was of particular concern as it's a living room area that's used mostly just during warmer weather (prime woodworking season for me). It's hardly even noticeable now.
Now just need to get some more machines hooked up.