Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston - We have Suckage !!

Houston - We have Suckage !!

Well it's been a long road, but I finally got the first machine hookup done this morning and powered up the DC to see how things work. So far, I'm a happy camper.

In a very ironic twist, it's been exactly a year since I started a thread with my ClearView DC installation saga and about a week after that when I got the unit powered up enough to run the brief shoebox test.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41911

The remainder of the fall months last year were spent building an insulated closet around the unit, putting vent and filters in the closet wall, getting filters and cleanout installed, bin sensor and alarm light wiring connected, and other odds and ends. Stopped working on the whole affair on Christmas day and didn't return to it until Mid April due to brutally cold temps here this winter. It was just way too cold to do any work in the unheated GaShop, even with the propane space heater running.

Been working on the ducting since April with quite a few detours along the way:
    - Experiments with bending PVC with a heat blanket and wiring up the controller for the blanket. Didn't pan out as planned for bending the ducting, but it did get put to use flattening PVC for cutting into flanges around duct ends.
    - Lots of experimenting to modify the LV blastgates in the rafters for spring loading so I can work them from below
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58586
    - Lots of experimenting to come up with the Rube Goldberg quick connects
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62995

At this point the machine I'm using the most is the 12" disc/6x48" sander. I'm using the disc to square up the ends of PVC after cutting with the jigsaw. I was getting tired of spewing fine white dust around and will need to keep using it as I get more machines hooked up, so that's the one I started with. There's a couple of minor hose/fitting changes I want to go back and do, but right now it's functional. I'll get pics later of that.

One item I was extremely pleased with was the big decrease in noise since measuring it back around the time of the shoe-box test. For comparison I'll put the original posted measurements in red. The new measurements now are with the surrounding closet, filters, ducts, chip bin, and machine hookup installed. FYI - a 3dB decrease is percieved by the human ear as 1/2 as loud.

6 ft from the DC - no filters, ducts, collection bin yet installed.
    101 dB - C weighting
    97 dB - A weighting

Same location
    86 dB - C weighting
    80 dB - A weighting
    96 dB - C weighting with closet door open
    90 dB - A weighting with closet door open

6 ft from the DC through a 8" concrete block wall with 1.5" styro insulation, drywall, and paneling.
    71 dB - C weighting
    57 dB - A weighting
    Hopefully 2" styro on the DC side of that concrete block will get these last numbers down significantly.

Same location
    66 dB - C weighting
    50 dB - A weighting

The C weighting is checking 32-10000 Hz and the A weighting 500-10000 Hz.

The 2nd location was of particular concern as it's a living room area that's used mostly just during warmer weather (prime woodworking season for me). It's hardly even noticeable now.

Now just need to get some more machines hooked up.
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 08-26-2007 at 10:01 PM.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Glad to hear you making headway on the dc hookup. It is always nice to know what others have had luck with for inclousers.

Congrats on the vacuous accomplishment, Doug. Sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into the details.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Sweet! Good for you Doug!

It's about flippin time I got this project in the wrapping up stages. I cant tell you how badly I want to cut some wood. I'm tired of cutting PVC. Been ordering up some more flex hose and some other parts today. I'm hoping to get the TS and possibly DP connected up this coming weekend. I want to change over the BS port to a 5" first before I try plumbing that one together.
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Hey Doug, Are you using sewer and drain pvc? I just picked up a dust collector and am going to start working out the runs and sizing of the duct work. I was planning on getting a clear view cyclone but got detoured by a deal I picked up a week ago. I am now the not-so-proud owner of a cheapo harbour freight 2 hp bag/hag what-ever. It was part of a deal that included other tools and lots of lumber so I went with it. I guess I'll use it untill I can belly up for the better machine.

Paul, that Harbor Freight DC works pretty well, especially if you put a cartridge filter on it. Not a Clearview by any means, but it beats a shop vac. Hold your head up and be proud, man. I have no shame.

Here's mine. And a few more modifications.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Paul
    I waffled on that one for a long time but ended going with the 6" S&D PVC. Spiral would have been OK too but the local drive to get stuff would have been a lot further and I wasn't crazy about having to get it via mail order.

Paul, I think you would be shocked by the number of peeps using them for sucking.

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the encouragement. The deal I recieved is looking better. I purchased the dust collector, a room air cleaner, a Hitachi 12V router & Rockler router table, a 22" scroll saw and more lumber than I could fit in my 8' pickup bed for $500. I have to go back to pick up the rest of the lumber. The first load consisted of walnut, cherry, spalted maple, and some oak. It was a divorce sale and I felt bad for the guy, but he seemed pretty happy to get the stuff cleared out of the house. Looks like it's hardly been used.
    Guess I'll get the tin snips out. Also makes me wonder about the areodynamics of wood chips............maybe a spiral neutral vane..........