1938 sears craftsman lathe info needed.................

bob koller

i had this lathe giving to me by a friend for the shipping cost of 30.00 bucks for 2 boxes of heavy parts....

searslathe001.jpg

the cast pulley was no match againest the iron parts in the same box....

lathepulley001.jpg

lathepulley002.jpg

i need any info to a sorce for pulleys....the headstock shaft it goes on mic'ed at .749 and the pulley is .750 inside dia....any info to where i can get a pulley would be great....thanks....................bob

Check places like McMaster Carr, Grainger, ...... there are others but the names escape me now that I am trying to remember. Odds are you will find a step pulley really close to that one. Just compare the dia's and the widths. They don't have to be exact, just close.

Don't forget EBay too.

thanks guys....i'll get that measurement as to the width of the pulley....just guessing i'd say 2.5" to 3"......................bob

found a pulley on McMaster Carr's website for 16.00 bucks, but it is a little differnt then my pulleys specs....
.......................OD. steps..............................pitch dia.
.............1.........2.........3..........4...............1......2........3......4
..........1 3/4"...2 1/4"...2 3/4"...3 1/4".........1 1/2"...2"...2 1/2"...3"

...........(X) height 2 5/16"

mine are....

............1..........2.........3......4................1.......2.........3.......4
.........1 3/4"...2 1/2"...3 1/4"...4"...............1"...1 1/2"...2 1/4"...3"

...........(X) height 2 3/4"

how far off will the RPM's be, or it won't matter much or at all with a
1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor................bob

Looks like it's going to be a fun project. :thumb: If possible, I'd consider going with smaller wheels to reduce the low end speed. I realize you won't be turning any big bowls on that particular lathe, but you may find times when 500 RPMs or less would be handy.

it'll be fun fer sure, so far as i add up what i'm going to need so far....looks like i'll have bout 190.00 bucks in it at the first project start....not bad to me since fer the age of it....looking at some lathes for what i have i'm looking at 300.00 for a new one....................bob

it'll be fun fer sure, so far as i add up what i'm going to need so far....looks like i'll have bout 190.00 bucks in it at the first project start....not bad to me since fer the age of it....looking at some lathes for what i have i'm looking at 300.00 for a new one....................bob
Don't know how to break it you you Bob, but that $190 is just the tip of the iceberg (or edge of the vortex, as it were). :D But it's OK...your wallet may be empty but you'll be too busy turning to notice.

so far i got the headstock shaft all cleaned up and back in the bushings....had to cut off bout 3/4" off the left side of the shaft cause someone hammered the end of the shaft and seized the lock ring by crushing the treads....don't need that end anyway and cleaned the treads good so i can get the other lock ring on good....

here's the before picture from the front of this post....

searslathe001.jpg

searslathe003.jpg

searslathe002.jpg

here's some pictures all cleaned up for now till i get good paint....

searslathe006.jpg

searslathe007.jpg

searslathe008.jpg

searslathe009.jpg

so right now all i need is the motor and two pulleys to get it going....added up what i spent so far and what i'm going to need to get yet....

lathe 32.00
motor 80.00
2 pulleys 30.00
adjusta belt 33.00

total 175.00

so far i think that's good......................bob

I will save you some money. Buy your belt at an auto parts store, it will save you $20 I am betting. Just buy a fixed length belt.

Google the surplus center. They have some good deals on motors. Shipping is the killer but might save some cash with them.