Bringing a Nichols Hand Miller back to life...

Alan,
Let me start by saying "you suck":D:D:thumb::thumb: Great score especially at that price. I'm really interested in following your progress. I would love to pick up one of the little guys - someday.

Wes

Dang...I hope the shipper's truck was at least as torn up as your mill. That's shameful. Should be a fun rebuild to watch.

Ahh a good horizontal mill...

I am not sure how, but I almost missed this thread. I used to use them a lot at Lie Nielsen, that is what they used to open up a few raw castings on some of their block planes (62's) and of course where they milled their shoulder planes and corrugated their bench planes.

They definitely have their place, but while we have an old one at work that I could have, I passed on it. Yours looks to be in a lot better shape even with the damage. I doubt you will have problems getting it back together. They are strong simple mills and you can find cheap cutters all over the place for them.

Good luck in any case.

Well Alan, I feel your pain, I hope you get something for your troubles.

Look what I found here...........

inoue_mill1.jpg inoue_mill2.jpg inoue_mill3.jpg
Only $790, but, I just do not have that kind of spare change kicking around this month :doh:

It is even in Tokyo :bang:

Oh well, I don't have anywhere to put it anyway..... :rolleyes:

Well Alan, if I sell some stuff I don't need, like an extra motor bike and the bike trailer I don't use anymore, I'll have the dosh, but the space is still an issue.

I might enclose the area in around the hatch, and make that my metal machine room........ :rolleyes:........seriously.... :D

That would be great if you could come Alan, I'd love to show it off! :wave:

BTW, this is the space..............

vtr_trailer3.jpg

Basically the entire space the bike trailer takes up, and the space on the far side of the trailer.

How is the rebuild going?