Thread: breakfast in Texas

breakfast in Texas

"Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just think Frank, some people are cruel enough to shoot and eat these cute little animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Just think Frank, some people are cruel enough to shoot and eat these cute little animals.

Vegetarian!

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Nah... at least not until they are out about 50 yards.

Very cool. I had to show that video to LOML. Her voice went up about three octaves into that "Oh look! It's a puppy!" voice when she saw it. I'm guessing the video was done on a game ranch?

Although I really enjoy shooting, I've pretty much lost my desire to hunt. I realize hunting is beneficial for game management, so I have no objection to it...just not interested in doing it myself. If I needed the meat, it's probably be a different story, but nowadays I'd rather hunt with a 300mm lens instead of a .308 cartridge.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

With the number of deer that came to breakfast, I think some "game management" is in order....where I live the city allows deer to be "harvested" in city parks with a bow lisc. a few times a year, but there are still way to many deer in the area.

I'm not a hunter...just have other hobbies, but I did narrowly miss a deer as it jumped over the hood of my car a few years back. I clipped its back hoof and dented the top of the roof. It peed all over the car, landed on its feet after a 360. I saw it in mirror as it stood there for a few seconds..problably saying "what the heck just happened" and then darted off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Although I really enjoy shooting, I've pretty much lost my desire to hunt. I realize hunting is beneficial for game management, so I have no objection to it...just not interested in doing it myself. If I needed the meat, it's probably be a different story, but nowadays I'd rather hunt with a 300mm lens instead of a .308 cartridge.
    I fall into that same category. Although there are many reasons to kill an animal, killing one just for the pleasure of killing is immoral in my belief system.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very cool. I had to show that video to LOML. Her voice went up about three octaves into that "Oh look! It's a puppy!" voice when she saw it. I'm guessing the video was done on a game ranch?

I do both. Firearms of choice are a .54 cal. flintlock rifle and, when lazy, a 30-06. Today, I 'shot' these in my yard. He is a 2 yr. old six pointer still in velvet. Fawn was very late June, usually they are born early May. Normally the spots are long gone by now too. And, no, I've never shot one in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I fall into that same category. Although there are many reasons to kill an animal, killing one just for the pleasure of killing is immoral in my belief system.

Mike
    Yup! I agree 100%. I was raised, "If you ain't gonna eat it, don't kill it.", and have instilled that same philosophy in my children. I've never hunted for sport and find nothing sporting about it. I hunt b/c I enjoy the meat. But I'm picky about my game. I don't trust the way some (even some butchers) clean or cut up their meat, so I don't buy it. Same with fishing.

I do shoot for sport occassionally, but competition targets don't seem to mind.