breakfast in Texas

Very cool. I had to show that video to LOML. Her voice went up about three octaves into that "Oh look! It's a puppy!" voice when she saw it. I'm guessing the video was done on a game ranch?

Although I really enjoy shooting, I've pretty much lost my desire to hunt. I realize hunting is beneficial for game management, so I have no objection to it...just not interested in doing it myself. If I needed the meat, it's probably be a different story, but nowadays I'd rather hunt with a 300mm lens instead of a .308 cartridge. ;)

With the number of deer that came to breakfast, I think some "game management" is in order....where I live the city allows deer to be "harvested" in city parks with a bow lisc. a few times a year, but there are still way to many deer in the area.

I'm not a hunter...just have other hobbies, but I did narrowly miss a deer as it jumped over the hood of my car a few years back. I clipped its back hoof and dented the top of the roof. It peed all over the car, landed on its feet after a 360. I saw it in mirror as it stood there for a few seconds..problably saying "what the heck just happened:eek:" and then darted off.

Although I really enjoy shooting, I've pretty much lost my desire to hunt. I realize hunting is beneficial for game management, so I have no objection to it...just not interested in doing it myself. If I needed the meat, it's probably be a different story, but nowadays I'd rather hunt with a 300mm lens instead of a .308 cartridge. ;)
I fall into that same category. Although there are many reasons to kill an animal, killing one just for the pleasure of killing is immoral in my belief system.

Mike

Very cool. I had to show that video to LOML. Her voice went up about three octaves into that "Oh look! It's a puppy!" voice when she saw it. I'm guessing the video was done on a game ranch?

I do both. Firearms of choice are a .54 cal. flintlock rifle and, when lazy, a 30-06. Today, I 'shot' these in my yard. He is a 2 yr. old six pointer still in velvet. Fawn was very late June, usually they are born early May. Normally the spots are long gone by now too. And, no, I've never shot one in my yard.

Attachments

• buck and fawn.jpg
    buck and fawn.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 19
I fall into that same category. Although there are many reasons to kill an animal, killing one just for the pleasure of killing is immoral in my belief system.

Mike

Yup! I agree 100%. I was raised, "If you ain't gonna eat it, don't kill it.", and have instilled that same philosophy in my children. I've never hunted for sport and find nothing sporting about it. I hunt b/c I enjoy the meat. But I'm picky about my game. I don't trust the way some (even some butchers) clean or cut up their meat, so I don't buy it. Same with fishing.

I do shoot for sport occassionally, but competition targets don't seem to mind.;)