Anyone watching the eclipse?

Very cool. I just saw your post and went outside to check. Had to good view from the back yard. I don't recall the last time I saw an eclipse...it's been years.

Thanks for the heads-up...bedtime for Bonzo. :zzz:

Woke up at 2:00am so we could see it start.

Very creepy seeing a big 'bite' taken out of the moon.....

Well worth the lost sleep, although I did double the amount of coffee I usually make this morning...

Set the digi-cam on on a tripod by the back door and almost froze my butt off sitting on the concrete steps.. :eek:

DSC02000s.jpg

DSC02002s.jpg

DSC02042s.jpg

DSC02063s.jpg

Yes I do like my new camera :D

Cheers

Ian

I saw it this morning about 4:30. It was pretty low in the sky and obscured by tree branches, but clear enough. We've seen a few here over the 21 years that we've been in this house, so we don't get up to watch them anymore :).

cheers eh?

Alan,
Are you kidding! I just went to bed! (almost:D)

Very nice pictures Ian! My son got a telescope from Santa and we've been exploring space - he was really excited about your pictures - thanks for posting.

Wes

I agree with Tod...great shots, Ian. What camera did you get?
Sony DSC-H7.
It's not even a DSLR, but with a 15 times optical zoom it's like having a 450mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Shots were on a tripod, the first sunlit ones were just on full auto, but the red ones I went to manual and just did aprox 1 sec exposures, there wasn't enough light for the autofocus to work. Zoomed right in with digital zoom as well, it uses the 8mp sensor to get a 3mp picture in that mode to get 23x zoom :thumb:

Cheers

Ian

Those are great pics! What type of lens did you use?

The Sony H7 isn't even a DSLR, it just has its normal zoom lens. But its equivalent to have a 31-465mm zoom on a SLR :thumb:

http://www.sony.co.nz/products/product/digital-still-camera/all-cyber-shot/dsch7b.jsp

It does loose out a bit on image quality because of the small CCD sensor they have to use to make a lens like that work. But it works fine for everything I need it to do, and a DLSR that would do better is going to cost me a LOT.

PM me your email address and what screen res you use and I can sent you a wallpaper sized version.

Cheers

Ian