Thread: Went Shopping for tools.........

Went Shopping for tools.........

......but ended up blowing a large chunk of my tool budget on my lovely wife.....

Seriously now, I did.

I met up with a Spanish fellow, from the Oz WW forums, and we went to a place on the outskirts of Tokyo called "Machikan" it is a knife and tool shop.

They have some incredible tools there, as well as knives and even some old swords (which you need a VERY special license to buy........and a LARGE pile of money).

While there the young fellow behind the counter gave us a quick demo of Japanese knives..........

<- YouTube Link

While we were there, I noticed they had some left handed scissors. My lovely wife is left handed and has always used right handed scissors in her left hand, which, after a while gives her a sore hand. She has wanted a pair of left handed scissors for a long time, but she is too........frugal........ to spend the cash.

Well they had a VERY nice set of scissors, in fact they would be called shears, hand made by a smith that was one of the best in the land, who, is now gone. His family gave up making left handed scissors after he died, I gather they are not easy to make.

Attachment 11978 Attachment 11979 Attachment 11980 Attachment 11981

Attachment 11982 Attachment 11983 Attachment 11984

What did they cost, they cost me about $300, but they should easily last a lifetime.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Lifetime? I think/hope your kids, kids will be using these

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Lifetime? I think/hope your kids, kids will be using these
    Both of my lovely daughters are right handed, like me....... maybe grand kids....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Both of my lovely daughters are right handed, like me....... maybe grand kids....
    For $300 I would hope that they would have the good grace to become left-handed

Stu, I think I would have one more kid and "force" the left hand to become dominant BTW I hope my wife doesn't see this thread, she's left handed too My daughter, 2yrs, hasn't really made a choice yet.

Nice snips, there, Stu!

Funny thing ... I have never had much issue being a lefty, myself. Then again, about all I ever do left-handed is eat and write. Used to smoke lefty, gave that up. Everything else I do right-handed. Throw, bat, kick, scissors, punch, etc ... I'm a righty trapped in a lefty's body! Somebody help me!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ......but ended up blowing a large chunk of my tool budget on my lovely wife.....
    That's a wise investment if you ask me.

Yes, Alan has the right sentiment.
    Just make sure everyone in the house knows NOT to use Mom's scissors. My Mom's special left handed sewing scissors suddenly became very dull - right about the time her right handed son had a collage project for school.

Nice score Stu!

Wes

Stu

You know what they say, when Moma's Happy everybody is Happy!

I find that the more I encourage my wife to buy good equipment to support her hobbies, the easier it is to justify my purchases!

Those look wonderful!

Jay