Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I'm ticked!

Well, I'm ticked!

Apparently I have been spending too much time seeing what's going on during the day and my company has blocked FWW! I mean how dare they! What do they expect me to do...work! Well, I'll be checking in when I can!

Yeah, me too. Web Sense sees FWW as uncatagorized, and won't let it through. SMC is seen as hobby. We get 9-10 minute blocks to use. I can get on SMC, Woodnet, BT3, and the Clear Vue Forum, but not FWW. Unless we have a power outage, then WS goes to default and we're wide open until the Internet Lord sees it's not blocking stuff. Took 5 weeks this last time! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

How do you start a power outage...........

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Pray for a thunderstorm??? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't think 'recreational use' of the internet from work should ever be permitted - even on breaks or at lunch. Work is WORK. Play time is sometime other than at work.

I should mention here that, even when I owned my own management company, I did not do any personal 'surfing the net' from the office. I came there to work, and when work was done, I left.

My employees did the same. Messing about on the net - for personal stuff - was not permitted. I gave one warning only. After that, I hung out the 'help wanted' sign.
    Jim D.

I'm in agreement with Jim DeLaney. If you want to play, do it on your own time...not when others are paying and depending on you.

Oh I would agree with that Jim, but for me, being self employed, I don't "go" to work and then come home when the work is done, as it is never done (as I'm sure you know, running our own company ).

For me, even if I'm sleeping, I'm working, as I've been at home, asleep at say 1 AM and the MILFH calls, a customer wants a "Good" bottle of wine, and I have to change out of my PJs and hustle across the street to get back to work, so for me, as work NEVER shuts off, I'd NEVER be able to surf the net

Once, while on our first vacation in years, in Canada, we got a phone call at 4 AM or so, from the MILFH so I could talk to a customer to recommend a wine

But, if I was working for someone else, yeah, I agree, surf on your own time, but at the same time, when I punch out, I'm gone and not working for them until I punch in again.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    I'm in agreement with Jim DeLaney. If you want to play, do it on your own time...not when others are paying and depending on you.
    I always thought lunch and breaks were my own time....
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Garry
    Agreed. If you're not paying me, you're not in control of me. Period. You want to say what I can do? Cough up the dough!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Garry
    IMO, If you want to use your own computer and your own connection on breaks and at lunch, fine....company equipment going down because someone caused a virus or other problem with their personal surfing is not acceptable. If you give an inch, many will take a mile...to get those last few bids in on ebay.....for the next 15~30 minutes after lunch/break. It's just easer to not let it get started so you are fair to all the employees.