Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean your saw blades?

How do you clean your saw blades?

Thanks
    Dennis

Simple Green

Or ... that pink stuff woodcraft sells.

I'm firmly against the advice of using oven cleaner. For ~$100 a blade, i'm not putting anything that MIGHT be harmful to it, especially if something else works fine. It just isn't worth the chance.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Another Simple Green user.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Simple Green

Or ... that pink stuff woodcraft sells.

I'm firmly against the advice of using oven cleaner. For ~$100 a blade, i'm not putting anything that MIGHT be harmful to it, especially if something else works fine. It just isn't worth the chance.
    A word of caution comes from the Simple Green website itself for those that use Simple Green to clean their blades...

BLADES, CARBIDE & SAW BLADES
    Simple Green has been successfully used by many woodworkers over many years as a good “spray – wipe – rinse” cleaner for saw blades. When pitch is fairly fresh (typically within a 12-hr period since deposit) it is fairly easily removed with Simple Green. Older, dried-out pitch is much more difficult to remove. We do not recommend long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide. Shorter term “spray/wipe/rinse” applications do not create that kind of problem.
    It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Thompson View Post
    Thanks
    Dennis
    Hi Dennis; try Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda), a couple of tbsps. in a quart of hot water. The crud comes off in a flash. Use an old toothbrush to get in the gullets or the face of the teeth. Best of all, it is environmentally friendly!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Ammonia and an old toothbrush for me. For all the hand wringing I've seen over the years about various chemicals potentially damaging blades, I've yet to see any documentation of the problem. I think its just manufacturer's lawyers wanting to avoid potential liability.

Unless you've got one of those red blades, acetone also works well, but though it won't hurt your carbide, it won't do you any good

How do you clean your sawblades

I use CMT orange. I place the sawblade in a five gallon bucket top, spray
    both sides of the blade, and let it sit for ten or fifteen minutes. I then scrub
    it with a stiff nylon bristle brush (from both sides of blade), rinse off blade
    and dry. Works well for me.

Most kitchen degreasers work great...409, White Lightning, LA's Totally Awesome...($1), Simple Green, etc., all worked as well as my Boeshield Blade n Bit cleaner. Goo Gone citrus cleaner works really well too.

I spritz them, hit them lightly with toothbrush or brass brush, and am usually done in 3-4 minutes depending on how dirty the blade was.
    Got Wood?

For all the hand wringing I've seen over the years about various chemicals potentially damaging blades, I've yet to see any documentation of the problem.

I have. Some greatly magnified photos of the carbide and brazing from Frued, showing the carbide binders eaten away, leaving the whole thing looking like Swiss cheese.

Enough to make me a believer.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    A word of caution comes from the Simple Green website itself for those that use Simple Green to clean their blades...

BLADES, CARBIDE & SAW BLADES
    Simple Green has been successfully used by many woodworkers over many years as a good “spray – wipe – rinse” cleaner for saw blades. When pitch is fairly fresh (typically within a 12-hr period since deposit) it is fairly easily removed with Simple Green. Older, dried-out pitch is much more difficult to remove. We do not recommend long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide. Shorter term “spray/wipe/rinse” applications do not create that kind of problem.
    It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade.

Well HECK.

Guess it's back to the pink stuff woodcraft sells, then. I've also heard Windex works well, too. I know i'm never gonna stay on top of it well enough NOT to have to soak 'em.

Thanks for the info, Travis. Very glad to have learned this.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA