Some Faulty Wood From a Buddy of Mine

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine sent an ugly little piece of ironwood to me a while back, but I'll bet if he knew this was hiding inside, he might have kept it for himself. Turned real easy wet, but lived up to its ironwood name when dry. Sharp tools left a nice clean cut, though. It's about 4 3/4" wide by 3 3/4" high, with walls about 3/16" thick. I finally quit thinning it up last night when I noticed I could flex the top part of the piece about 1/8". (Having a full penetration inclusion around 180 degrees of the body didn't help.) It's finished with a coat of Antique Oil and a few coats of spray Deft lacquer. No buffing, but I'll hand wax it in a few days with Renaissance Wax.

Sorry for the raft of pics, but this wood is too pretty to pick just one or two shots. For such a little piece, it's got a lot to look at.

HF032 - 01 800.jpg HF032 - 08 800.jpg HF032 - 02 800.jpg HF032 - 10 800.jpg HF032 - 04 800.jpg HF032 - 06 800.jpg HF032 - 12 800.jpg

Lemme know what you think...good, bad or ugly.

Lemme know what you think...good, bad or ugly.

Very lovely !! I can only imagine the trepidation you felt as you approached your desired thickness, especially with that inclusion - holy moley!!

So .... you asked for it :) ...

It's good !! You're a bad turning dude!! and ... it's UGLY!! (in the same way that kids say that something really cool is "sick" ... oh boy ... do I ever feel old :) )

cheers eh?

Wow Vaughn, must have been a pucker factor of at least an "8" eh? :eek:

Sure did turn out nice! :thumb:

I really like the neck, or collar on this one, really like that, I'll have to file that one away for future reference! :D

Oh, about the pics, you know us, we all HATE pic.............. yeah right :rofl::rofl:

Vaughn, do you have a picture of what it looked like before the lathe? I can't imagine chucking something like this on my lathe as I would be ducking the shrapnel and tripping over the pieces on the shop floor!!!

Thanks for the nice comments, all. This was a fun one to turn, and even more fun to look at afterwards.

Jonathan, the blank started out looking like the attached pic. Pretty unassuming. (This pic is cropped from a larger one showing several blanks.)

Ironwood.jpg

I wish my faulty stuff came out half as good. Your progress as a turner is most impressive. Keep it up, I love looking at your stuff.

Well, now that Barry's shown up, I guess I should give him the credit for this hunk of wood. ;) This piece was in a CARE package Barry sent me recently.

Thanks, Barry!

From the picture, I can't see that HF residing in it. Did you see or did you anticipate this turning looking like this from the begining? I for some reason am fascinated with trying to see what will be, working with acrylics and PR in pens, I have not developed "the eye" to anticipate the end product.