Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if....

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

What would you do if....

you hired a construction crew to do some work in your shop and took the time to have a talk with them about the difference between construction tools and precision wood working machines.
    All your machines had nice shiny-waxed tables and all of them perfectly (if there is such a thing ) aligned and ready to work.
    You ask that they not use the machines for a flat surface to work off of and explain that even handprints are not good for cast iron tops. And especially, No Drinks on the machines!
    You tell them that if they have to work where the machine is, simply roll it out of the way or cover it. (And provide the covers)
    Well, the work progresses nicely and you are pretty happy with the quality of the job even though you can see that they are going through your tool boxes and using your hand tools even though you have told them to use their own tools and leave yours alone.

And then you find this:

Isn't that the prettiest set of FOOTPRINTS you have ever seen on the very end of my jointer in-feed table?
    When they started you could almost see your face in that table.
    He must have stood up there for quite some time for that many sweat drops to be on the machine. It is right in front of the air conditioner.

I am not a happy camper.

DT
    Last edited by Don Taylor; 08-29-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Don, at the risk of offending some good folks, your experience is not unlike what I have had with tradesmen working at my home. I don't understand why that is. What I would do is cuss a lot in private and clean things up. Chalk it up as an unfortunate lesson. For qualification: I have, and have had, many good friends in the trades who would never do things like that, true gentlemen. But, sadly, a lot aren't. That might be why many contractors and their supers. are tougher than drill sergeants.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Don, I don't think a conversation with the contractor is out of line. You went out of your way to explain what you expected, which you shouldn't have to do, and they did it anyway. My grandfather probably would have blown up on them, my dad would "talk" to them. I hope I would be able to "talk" to them without blowing up on them. Good luck.

I find that completely inexcusable. The challenge is that anyone who would do that sort of thing is not going to understand what the problem is. Some folks just don't think that way. It is very frustrating for those of us who try to take a little pride in what we do and how we behave.

I guess I would say to 'the boss' the same thing you've said here while walking him in the general direction of the jointer. Then at the opportune moment you say "so what do you think of this?" and point to the damage.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn has used the magic word IMO, "Damage". They should be responsible for whatever it takes to put the machines in their previous condition. Don't pay for the work until you have worked this out with the contractor.

Give 'em hell Don!!!
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

I think a talk is warranted. The boss and the owner of the footprints need to know both the bad and the good (the work). Isn't it a shame that a nice job is messed up by careless footwork (and sweating).

Wes

first off i`d ask why.......then ask how "we" are going to "fix" the damage..
    blowing up or ranting isn`t going to change what`s been done and finding an equitable solution would be best for all involved....as far as i know you`ve been happy with their work? and if there`s more work to do i`m sure they`d like to finish the job as much as you`d like for it to be finished....my suggestion is that whomever stood on your jointer be the one to clean and wax the table on his time....no harm no foul....please don`t let it happen again.....
    if that doesn`t work then a louisville slugger to the knees
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I would also check the tables with a straight edge to be sure there isn't no damage making the table lower on the end than at the cutter. tools & especially Jointers are not made to stand on. Please let us know the out come.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Hey Don, if they did that to me you would probably hear me 'discussing' it with them all the way in Starke !! (no telephone needed!!).

Tony, BCE '75

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Don,
    That's a shame! You should follow up. Run a test board or two to see if the jointer has gone out of alignment. Someone standing on the end of a lever (the table) could really cause some damage to the works.

I agree with the others that the crew owes you at least some free cleanup!
    Don't believe everything you think!