Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Slow Speed Grinder Question

Jet Slow Speed Grinder Question

What's your opinion of this tool? I've read pro and con about it. Amazon has it available for $229.49 so it has my interest now! Maybe!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

do you need one? only you can decide if the tormek is is worth the additional money.....the jet is built cheaper and priced accordingly....personally i don`t have a need for either i sharpen on what i`ve got.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Hey Bill, I looked at the Jet at the Woodworker's show for $299 with X'tra's thrown in -- walked back and forth between it and the Tormek for a couple hours -- then left without it. The next week I bought the Tormek @ Woodcraft. Can't really explain why, just something about the fit & finish, especially on the jigs, just didn't sit well with me.........

Just my $0.02 -- Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    Hey Bill, I looked at the Jet at the Woodworker's show for $299 with X'tra's thrown in -- walked back and forth between it and the Tormek for a couple hours -- then left without it. The next week I bought the Tormek @ Woodcraft. Can't really explain why, just something about the fit & finish, especially on the jigs, just didn't sit well with me.........

Just my $0.02 -- Tony
    Tony,

Thanks for your input. I had looked at the Jet at The Woodworking Show in Tampa a few months ago and, while it had some nice features, I couldn't bring myself to walk away with it. The only reason I considered it this time was the price, but I'd rather spend the money on something else, anyway!

By the way, last year you clued me into Redwood Bay Lumber Co. when I mentioned moving to Georgia. I stopped by the place a few weeks ago when I happened to be passing through the area. Of course, I couldn't just stop in to introduce myself -- had to grab some padauk and purpleheart to make it back home. Turns out they deliver to Thomas County schools routinely, so I can call and place an order! Knowing me, I'd still rather drive there and pick my pieces, though.

Take care!
    Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I hate it when someone does this....

Have you looked at a used Makita Knife sharpener? I used scary sharp and was happy with it. But I kept ripping the really fine paper and was getting tired of that. I also wanted to be able to sharpen jointer and planer blades. Tormek is just to stinking expensive! I ran upon the Makita and did some homework. Overall good reviews. I watched EBay and found a few used ones and finally got one. I love mine. I sharpen planners blades, jointer blades, (hand) planer blades, pocket knives, etc. Well pleased.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I had looked at the Jet at The Woodworking Show in Tampa a few months ago
    That's where I saw it -- wish I'd known you were there !!

The Guys at Redwood Bay deliver as far east as Madison -- but I prefer to go all the way just to see what they have.

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I hate it when someone does this....

Have you looked at a used Makita Knife sharpener? I used scary sharp and was happy with it. But I kept ripping the really fine paper and was getting tired of that. I also wanted to be able to sharpen jointer and planer blades. Tormek is just to stinking expensive! I ran upon the Makita and did some homework. Overall good reviews. I watched EBay and found a few used ones and finally got one. I love mine. I sharpen planners blades, jointer blades, (hand) planer blades, pocket knives, etc. Well pleased.
    Jeff,
    You hate it when somebody does what?

I haven't looked at the Makita yet, but will keep an eye on Ebay. The main reason I want such a tool is sharpening jointer and planer knives, so it might be a better, less costly solution. I'm in no real hurry, but will jump on a good deal if I find one. Thanks for your input.

Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    That's where I saw it -- wish I'd known you were there !!

The Guys at Redwood Bay deliver as far east as Madison -- but I prefer to go all the way just to see what they have.
    I went to the show for a few hours on Friday shortly after they opened. It seemed like a smaller show than past years. I looked at a lot of stuff, but didn't buy anything.

Blountstown is about 90 miles from me, so I'll have to make up quite a shopping list before I make the trek. I suppose LOML and I could make a day of it with lunch at Spring Creek, followed by a drive along the coast, then loop through Btown. Just a leisurely 300 mile afternoon drive!
    Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Jeff,
    You hate it when somebody does what?
    When I ask about an old Unisaw and people starting telling why I should buy Powermatic or Grizzly.

I am very happy with my Makita and can say I would buy another in a heart beat. I watched EBay and found one with 5 stones so I am set. I don't remember what I paid, but it was way less than a Tormek.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    When I ask about an old Unisaw and people starting telling why I should buy Powermatic or Grizzly.

I am very happy with my Makita and can say I would buy another in a heart beat. I watched EBay and found one with 5 stones so I am set. I don't remember what I paid, but it was way less than a Tormek.
    Jeff,

Yeah, I assumed that's what you meant. I don't have any issue if someone jumps in with another thought. That's what these forums are all about. I can get too focused in one direction sometimes, so it's good to hear suggestions about alternatives to my original thought.

I'll check Ebay occasionally.

Thanks again.
    Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa