Sunday's Plans......

Stuart Ablett

Well, I got my Sunday planned out, take the girls to ice skating lessons BEFORE 7:30 AM, them meet up with fellow Canuck and wood worker Alex at 8 AM, drive out of Tokyo a ways to meet up at Jim's place where they have some wood waiting for us to butcher up into bowl blanks...............

ginko2.JPG
This is the two largest chunks of the Ginko tree that was taken down

ginko1.JPG
Jim was able to get the removale company to move the trees to the parking area, so we did not mess up the school grounds, where the tree was taken down.

ginko3.JPG
Jim standing next to my next victims :thumb:

Should be a fun day, and some hard work, not to worry, I'll take the camera!

Cheers!

Thats a Ginko?? Man, must not be same thing we get here. If so that tree was like 1.000 years old! We had one we that lived 3 years and suddenly died. I never could tell it grew an inch. :dunno:

Sounds like a fun a day!

Yep, the MILFH just showed up, so now I can go to the Dungeon and load all of my various implements of destruction into my truck :D

I'm +9 hours GMT, if that makes any sense:rolleyes:

Cheers!

But aren't you only about 14-15 hours ahead? Or is it more than that? From the marked time on your posts, I would have thought it was late night, not early morning.:huh: :coffee: Ooops, I don't drink coffee, and I've given up my morning Dr. Pepper, which leaves me no caffeine intake. :rolleyes: Maybe I need some of those trucker pills!!!:D Jim.

edit: Well I see the answer to my question now....Maybe I better start drinking my one DP for the day for breakfast!!

Stu, you mention that this is at a school. In the parking space next to the truck in the second picture, how come I can read the first two letters on the ground (I mean beside the fact that I graduated fourth grade)? I'm guessing the word is BUS but I'm surprised to see letters that I can read.

Care to explain?

BTW, that's a nice bunch of big stinkin' logs you've got there. How much of it do you get? How much are you going to be able to fit into your van?
Thanks.

Looks like fun Stu. I used to do some logging, bandmilling and such.
I'd come in plum tuckered out from a hard day in the woods, but very enjoyable. :D

Makes you sleep on your side of the bed at night.;)

Stu, you mention that this is at a school. In the parking space next to the truck in the second picture, how come I can read the first two letters on the ground (I mean beside the fact that I graduated fourth grade)? I'm guessing the word is BUS but I'm surprised to see letters that I can read.

Care to explain?

Sure, as soon as you read what is on the SIDE of the truck in the same pic :thumb: :D

The school is one of them "American" schools, don't want to mention the name, as I don't want anyone to get in some kind of "dutch" some how (stranger things have happened!).

BTW, that's a nice bunch of big stinkin' logs you've got there. How much of it do you get? How much are you going to be able to fit into your van?
Thanks.

Well I guess I get 1/3 as there are three guys, but Jim don't do the lathe thing (YET!!) so he does not want that much, and Alex, while he does the lathe thing, he is a could 1 1/2 from Tokyo by train, so he can't really carry that much home in his backpack :rolleyes: :D

I think we will cut and seal it, then take as much back as I can, but store the rest at Jim's school (he is the industrial arts teacher there), and come back for a second or third load, heck the stuff that gets left behind might just spalt.... :D

I'm on my way here in a few minutes, back at you guys later today (for me!)

Cheers!

Gosh darn it Stu...I forgot all about spalted wood. :huh: Here I just make a post asking about a persons favorite wood, then answer it with Ash not even thinking that Spalted Beech is really my favorite. :doh: Hummmm, must be 6 AM in the EST and I am tired from being up since 3 AM with my fussy 4 month old daughter. Guess I am not really thinking too much this morning.

PS: Do you think I can teach her how to cut dovetails before she can even walk? :)

Just checking in.

We had a banner day, we managed to cut up one log, just one, and boy do I have a ton of wood, I could not fit it all in my truck! :eek:

Pics later, I'm BEAT, we ran the two large Husky saws for a LONG time today, and just barely got ONE log cut up, the blanks I got are HUGE!!! :thumb:

Got to go unload it all, as I need the truck for a beer delivery first thing Monday moring, man I'm tired, but HAPPY! :D

Hey Stu,
Good job, always fun working with the big stuff.
Do you save the saw dust and order biloba or does it not work that way?:rofl:
Shaz
OK, I had to look Biloba up....I guess they make some kind of herbal meds from the leaves?

Anyway, we sure had a lot of wood to cut up, and we did not get anywhere near done!

ginko_alex_cutting.jpg
Alex with Jims Husky 3120, what a brute of a saw!

ginko_alex_cutting2.jpg

ginko_stu_cutting2.jpg
Me cutting with my vintage 1976 Husky 185 saw, and that nice quiet muffler! :thumb:

ginko_stu_cutting1.jpg

ginko_truck_load.jpg
Truck loaded up, it was about an hour and a half drive back to Tokyo, so I did not want to overload the little van, too much :rolleyes:

ginko_left_behind.jpg
We left a bunch of cut up pieces behind, I'll have to go get them soon.

ginko_cleaning_up.jpg
Alex and Jim cleaning up the sawdust, while I supervised :rolleyes:

ginko_stack1.jpg
Stacks of Ginko chunks reasy to become turning blanks!

ginko_stack2.jpg

ginko_stack3.jpg

More pics!

ginko_one_done.jpg
Here is one blank I made round, should be able to do some good turning with this stuff!

ginko_sealed1.jpg
the stack of Ginko restacked and all sealed, should keep me busy for a while!

ginko_sealed2.jpg

Well I'm beat, I'm for bed.

Cheers!

Hey Stu,
You are right, GINKGO BILOBA is an herbal supplement use to enhance memory.
About twenty five years ago FW magazine ran an article on Steve Hogbin, I think was his name. He use full slab tree disks and mounted them, as best I recall, on the hub of an old truck with rear axle jacked up off the ground. It seemed to work as his lathe for strength, weight and power. Seems you could do that with your Ginko and your van.:headbang: Good luck, good haul!
Shaz

Truck loaded up, it was about an hour and a half drive back to Tokyo, so I did not want to overload the little van, too much

Err, nice little prop there. Trouble with the gas struts?

Here is one blank I made round, should be able to do some good turning with this stuff!!

I thought Big Blue was strictly for resawing. How'd you get that so round!? :huh:

Err, nice little prop there. Trouble with the gas struts?

Yep, that truck is getting old (for Japan!) and when cold, or cool, the hatch will slowly sink, and after one or two head bonks, it was time for a prop.

I thought Big Blue was strictly for resawing. How'd you get that so round!? :huh:

It is, an to get that kind of round (it really is not round, but has a bunch of flat spots on it) I take a ton of small bites.

Cheers!

Micro-vans are so versitile and cool to drive. Here's my 1998 Subaru Domingo...

I see the sign in your micro-van pic... "CAJ"... I bet I know what that means! I think they had/have a branch in Kobe, no?

Nice wood haul...with all the blank material you have to turn, you're gonna have to build a huge cabinet to show stuff off in the store! :rofl: