Plain Ol' Piece of Walnut

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing real fancy about this piece of wood figure-wise...just another piece of walnut. The form's a bit different from my norm. I've been waiting for a good piece of wood to try it on. It's about 5" wide by 6" high. More of the Antique Oil and a few coats of spray Deft lacquer routine. No buffing so far...I'll probably leave it with the semi-matte finish.

HF032 - 02 800.jpg HF032 - 01 800.jpg HF032 - 03 800.jpg

All comments are welcome, as usual.

Funny ain't it Vaughn, a year or so ago, you would have been over the moon actually finishing a nice piece like that, but now it is "Just a plain old piece..." :D

Very nice, and I'd say it is just "Plain Pretty!" :thumb:

Cheers!

Funny ain't it Vaughn, a year or so ago, you would have been over the moon actually finishing a nice piece like that, but now it is "Just a plain old piece..." :D...
You got that right ;) Funny how one's perspective can change in a year. Despite the simple wood, I'm pretty happy with how this one came out.

I do have a love/hate relationship with walnut, though. I usually like it when it's done, but I have a harder time getting decent cuts with it than I do on most other woods. There was one point with I was finishing shaping the outside of this piece when I was getting a lot of chatter, regardless of the tool or the speed, and despite having freshly sharpened each tool I tried. From the looks of it, you'd think I was doing some type of texturing. I did get it smoothed up without resorting to the 80 grit gouge, but I was hatin' the walnut while working on it.

Vaughn just another plain piece of walnut made into just another plain vase.:rofl::rofl: Isn't it funny like was said a year ago heck we would be jumping up and down to have done a piece that nice.

Great looking piece Vaughn. Well done.