Buying Lumber

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking of buying a large (for me) amount of wood. 500 board foot of mixed lumber, 200bdft of QSWO, 100bdft of Poplar, 100bdft of Cherry, 100bdft of Mahogany.

I'm planning on starting to make a lot of furniture for our new house, and I'd just like to have supplies on hand and ready to go.

I can get all of this lumber shipped across the country for an average cost per board foot of about 4.70.

I looked at a couple of places locally (A real lumber yard), and QSWO goes for over 8$per board foot.

The QSWO I'm looking to order is 4.70$ per board foot, and about 1.27$ per bdft to ship.

I can find a place to sticker, stack, and store it all, so that's not an issue.

This seems like a no brainer to me.

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation that this isn't the dumbest thing I could ever do....

From North Carolina to Nevada.

So, a pretty long walk...

I'm not sure I could drive to N.C. to pick up the wood for that price..

And pretty much, as far as I can tell, it's cheaper to have it delivered, than to drive somewhere and buy it locally...

I have no opinion on the pricing but would just caution to make sure that you are comparing apples with apples. I buy my Oak from two different sources. One is nearky thrice as much as the other in money terms but my cost per useable volume is about the same. If the stuff you transport is of lower quality then that could eat your price advantage pretty quickly.

I've ordered smaller UPS bundles from this supplier several times in the past, and have been very pleased with the quality of the wood I've received. Very highly usable. I just ordered from a different place (Just to check other places before I placed this larger order), and while the lumber was OK, I feel that the first guys quality and customer service is better.

So, I trust this guy on the quality. He also lists a variety of qualities that you can buy (priced accordingly) and is honest about it.

My suspicion is that the QSWO that I can find locally has already been shipped from back east anyway, and that the local suppliers have already tacked on the shipping charges and a dealer markup.

Sure wish I had a spare week and a half or so to drive back east with a trailer to pickup a bunch and bring it back. Would be a fun trip. Maybe someday...

brent, isn`t there a local cabinet shop that would let you piggyback on an order from his wholesaler? i`d think even if you paid .50 cents mark-up you`d still come out ahead and help a local guy out?

Hey Brent
I order from Steven Wall in NC pretty often. With prices out west being what they are, I find that I'm saving money that way. The lumber has always been high quality. The lumber typically comes in ten or twelve foot lengths, held together with metal banding. The shipper calls you when it comes to your local terminal to arrange delivery. Typically they only have the large trucks, so if thats a problem you will have to make arrangements. I live at the end of a twisty hilly dirt road, so I pick it up at the terminal.

One thing to consider, some freight companies charge more for residential delivery than for commercial. So, when you order, be sure to give them your business name, even if its a brand new one.;)

Tod,

I just recently moved to the area and just really don't know where the cabinet shops are etc... There might be some places like that.

I might have to look into that.

Thanks!

Brent

Jesse,

You hit the nail right on the head. Steve Wall is the place I was referring to. I've always been happy with the quality. I did try another place recently just so I could confirm that I really preferred ordering from Steve.

I was planning to order a bunch, so I wouldn't have to deal with the small bundles.

My driveway is pretty long and narrow, without good places for a large truck to turn around, so I'm planning on just picking it up at the terminal.

Thanks!

I would search the yellow pages for cabinet shops or go to a place that sells kithcen and bath applinaces. They will have cabinets shops that they use on a regular bases.

Jesse,

You hit the nail right on the head. Steve Wall is the place I was referring to.

I was also ready to guess Steve Wall. Good guy to work with; good lumber.

... I'm planning on just picking it up at the terminal.

Be sure Wall Lumber writes the freight order for terminal pickup. I forgot to mention the terminal pickup once, and had to pay for local delivery even though I went and got it. As I recall, that was the sound of $40 going down the dumper.

I know you're not too awfully close, but it might be worth your while to check out this hard maple out of Santa Rosa on craigslist.

The seller has a shop which is contracted to manufacture the handles of rubber stamp handles. The contract reads for clear maple. He buys shorts and narrows from Canada for his shop, and this is what can't be used due to figure, color, or anything interesting in the wood. :doh:

He's legit, on the up and up, and at $1/bf it might be worth your time to drive down from Reno and pick up some wood from him. It's better quality wood than I get for $4/bf in San Jose. One cool think about it is that he's run it through a drum sander, so it's all 13/16" and pretty clean. Some is warped, but in general is very decent wood. He buys it in pallets, and as they use it they stack it back in pallets

It's good wood, IMO, and a lot of locals use and buy from him in QTY.

My advice is if you want to get a good deal on wood, drive down to Santa Rosa and get a load of maple, it'll keep 'ya busy at a reasonable price.:thumb:

I have taught in several different school systems and they used a wholesaler in the area. (one comes to mind in Cincinnati area that was really reasonable http://www.paxtonwood.com/index2.html They have branches in Denver so it is a lot closer. What I am getting at.... contact the local school shop teacher and see where he obtains materials. I "Assume" that their materials are Bid out (most schools are required to have bids) and so there are locals as well as distant suppliers that offer their services. The teacher may be able to help you. In fact I know of no teacher in the field that wouldn't bend over backward to help a fellow wwer. (but then I am older and times have changed and the youth of today is more rude.... didn't some roman smart arse say that?)

California is so closs you can smell it so I would look to their supppliers, a few dollars difference in price may out shine a hugh shipping bill.

Last edited: