(post 1 of 2)
This year I have been revamping our two car garage to hold our car (we only have one), our trailer, lumber, sheet goods, and lot of other stuff. Most of the work was done last spring, but I am putting the final touches on the place right now. I keep a weekly journal and here are the relevant extracts from that journal.
April 9th 2006:
On Sunday, I started to tear down all the old shelving in the garage. I am going the build all new platforms and shelves with a reorganized layout. The new layout should easily accommodate both the car and trailer as well as all the other paraphernalia that is in the garage now and also provide space for storing wood (wood for woodworking, that is).
Thatís the old platform at the back. At the stage shown in these pictures, it is about half torn down. That particular platform will be replaced with one of about the same size, but the new one will be much stronger and it will not have a centre post.
2006 April 16:
It was a close thing, but I achieved my objective of getting both the car and trailer stored in the garage by 18:00 on Saturday. I built three different platforms to hold the stuff. The first is a small platform in the north-west corner, mostly there to protect the gas exhaust pipe. Even though the base for this platform is small, I used the same construction technique on it as I later used on the two much larger platforms. That technique is to cut slots into the tops of vertical 4x4s and then to place notched 2x6s (or 2x8s for the platform across the back with the large expanse) on edge into those slots.
I plan to, eventually, place some sort of framework on top of this platform to hold 5x5 Baltic birch plywood sheets on their edge.
We had some quite nice weather this week and I was able to set up the saw horse platform in the driveway and work there, as can be seen in the picture below. Also notice the structure in the garage doorway. That is the support for one end of the platform that is to extend across the back of the garage.
The pictures below show the platform under which the trailer is to reside under construction:
Attachment 28 Attachment 29
The platforms are now done:
Attachment 32 Attachment 31
And here I am just after 18:00 having crammed everything into the garage:
Almost nothing is currently in the place where it belongs. Some things need to be given away and several shelves still need to be built. But, the hard work has been done.