Salad Bowl

Chas Jones

Hi guys, how does this shape fit in with your ideas of a Salad Bowl, I have tended to make much flatter shapes in the past or open curves as can be seen on This Sheet but have a feeling this might be nearer the mark.

_________
________Beech (225mm dia [8-7/8"]) Food safe oil finish.

Critiques welcome, if you think the proportions need modifying.

Basically formed within the curvature of the existing log segment, green turned and dried before finishing.

Hey I like it, but would call it my chip bowl instead of salad bowl!!:rofl::thumb:

Oh! You mean Potato Crisps, greedy comes to mind.:p
DSC02416%20(Small).JPG

For a minute there I was wondering why you would want to fill it with French Fries. :rofl:

Chas,

Very nice. Wish I could make walls like that. Love the form and the finish...

There's only one problem: I am, by nature, shamelessly larcenous. And I need a birthday present for a treasured employee, by Monday. And you linked up to your other work. So I'm remorselessly stealing your design from here:

DSC00600.JPG

You can, of course, stop me, but you'll have to fly all the way across the pond to do it! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Chas, you made me go back and find your location. Yep, crispy bowl, don't want the grease of french fries getting into that there wood!:thumb:

It is a very nice bowl and hope someday to be able to find the nerve to try one. Mine are very shallow and thick sided yet.

Great bowl Chas. It should serve it's intended purpose quite well - and look good doing it.

The crisp/chip conundrum reminds me of my first trip to your fine country. I just finished checking in at the airport hotel with a bad case of jet lag. The patient man at check-in told me the lifts were to the left. I thanked him and promptly asked where the elevators were.:eek::rolleyes: Before he could answer, I shook my head and wandered off to the lifts. He just smiled.

Wes

I like it Charles

But we truely are two nations separated by a common language! We have some Brit boating friends and we're always taking a moment to translate

The one for me that took awhile to get my head around was pavement equals sidewalk!

Jay

I spent 9 yrs working with USAF.
(conversations with a 4* general at the high table in the com. centre can be a bit fraught)

I have a Texan (note: not American) daughter in law, the family lives in Bavaria (southern Germany) and kids speak English/American-High-German and the local Bayerish dialect.

Conversations around the dinner table can lead to all sorts of mirth, usually at our expense.

Hi guys, how does this shape fit in with your ideas of a Salad Bowl,

Chas, I am very sorry to have to tell you it does not fit my idea of a salad bowl at all. However, it does fit my idea of a mashed potatoes and sauerkraut bowl! :p We have a bowl I made back in 2001 that is very similar in shape to this one without the foot. It is huge at 14" x 5", and truth be told, SWMBO is more apt to put salad in it that my favorite tuber, but I can always hope.

Very nice looking bowl!

Great looking bowl Chas. But everyone missed the mark altogether. That looks like a 4 scoop ice cream bowl to me. Chips, mashed patato's, sauerkrat, are you kidding. :rofl::rofl: 4 scoops of dark sweet cherry ice cream is the only way to go.:rolleyes:;):thumb:

Hi Curt, it is local Beech harvested about march this year.

Thanks for the comments :)p) everyone, we know everything in the USA is bigger but a bowl this size is just right for a pair of us reserved consumption brits.

Problem now is to produce several more of a similar pattern to meet the current commission if the client likes it.

The Beech by the way comes from some of the Woods in these pictures within a mile of my home.

Chas,

Very cool process pictures. And that tool rest is quite something... they don't make them like that on this side of the pond. Sweet lathe, as well! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, the Lathe is an older model Poolewood 28-40 with 1 HP VSD. Not much finesse on the finishing of assembly but the basic bricks were there for me to fettle, bought it as third user, but it had lain unused for nine years, there was no dust in any of the crevices and paint overspray was still on bearing surfaces of tool post guides.

The internal Bowl Tool rest is a home produced, part of modular set of interchangeable bits that has not expanded much as what you see does most of what I need.