Walnut Crotch NE

Mark Cothren

Had to use a lot of epoxy and CA to keep this bark on - the wood has been sittin' around outside my shop for well over a year. It is 14" at the widest point, and 5" at the tallest point. I used antique oil for the finish.

Comments/critiques/suggestions/opinions all welcomed.

WalnutNECrotch01.jpg

WalnutNECrotch02.jpg

WalnutNECrotch03.jpg

WalnutNECrotch04.jpg

Wow, that's a pretty piece of wood, Mark. :thumb: I really like the non-typical shape of the rim on this one. The only suggestion I can think of is to box it up and send it out here to Southern California. I'm afraid the Arkansas humidity might be too much for the bark. :p

Great work, man.

You would not dare send that to Kalifornia, would you? The best thing to do would to be to send it to Japan, where it could be properly honored! :D

That is really nice, not much to add, but I really impressed :thumb:

Very well done, I really like the symmetry. I hope to be able to do something like that sometime. I have never been able to keep bark on a natural edge bowl completely.

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the comments.

Like I said, the bark was a struggle on this piece and it took lots of glue to keep it there. In fact, the other half of this piece is roughed out in a similar shape and the bark blew off it as soon as I started roughing it (no chance of saving it). I've had good luck with all the bark on this particular Walnut.