Replacement Switch for TS?

Ned Bulken

I was cutting some plywood yesterday and had occasion to shut down the saw in mid cut. That brought to my attention that I really want to replace the stock switch on my saw, preferably with a push button (vs paddle switch) so I can hang one of those kick-board off switch assemblies.

I'll start looking, thinking grizzly, grainger, ___?

You don't specify 100 or 220v. I have the Steel City that will operate 110 or 220v and has a circuit breaker built in at about $35. I use them on my TS and my RT.

Fin Closed-1-small.jpg

The same switch is used by Orion under this part number, OR91579. You could try Colleen at Orion / Steel City for availability:

Colleen Englert
Orion International
139 Delta Drive
Pittsburgh PA 15238
ph 412-967-0300 x109
fax 412-967-0400
colleen@oriontools.net
colleen@steelcitytoolworks.net

My dad has this and it is virtually the same except for the cool little stop sign image (not sure about the circuit breaker). At $30, I'd say this is the way to go for 110v. IMHO you should deal with this safety issue right away.

Last edited:
Ned, my DeWalt 744BT has a paddle switch, but I use a knee board on it, no problem.... :huh:

Why could you not put a knee board on the saw you have?

Cheers!

Ye got me a little confused too. :huh: If you have a paddle switch now, some sort of kick rigging shouldn't be difficult. But, to answer your question, yes, Grizzly has a variety of switches. I'm considering a foot switch for the bandsaw and drill press as both require a lot of on-off.

While Grainger does have a lot of switches, I doubt they're going to have much specifically intended for your purpose, and what they do have is going to be pretty expensive. Grizzley is the better choice, you could also try Woodcraft, Woodworkers Supply, or similar companies, as I seem to recall aftermarket stop switches being available.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure you use a magnetic switch on your tablesaw. The same is true for all large tools. Using a standard DPDT switch on a tablesaw could be a killer if the power goes off! :doh:

Double Pole/Double Throw Switch

View attachment 12146

As opposed to a SPST

View attachment 12147

:wave:

OK, now I know what the letters mean. Why is one better/worse than the other? And, wassa magnetic switch? And why is it better/worse than others?
I'll be back later. Have to go look for a couple Cub Scouts to help me change some flashlight batteries. Me and stuff electrical.....well....not my thang.

OK, now I know what the letters mean. Why is one better/worse than the other? And, wassa magnetic switch? And why is it better/worse than others?
I'll be back later. Have to go look for a couple Cub Scouts to help me change some flashlight batteries. Me and stuff electrical.....well....not my thang.

Although I have heard folks say they used SPST (Single pole single throw) switches to interrupt only one leg of their 220v line, it is not recommended. Both legs should be open when in the off position as Stu's diagram shows.

A magnetic switch opens automatically when power is interrupted at the source. This means when the power comes back on, the switch is in the off position and you don't hear your jointer fire up while you are outside restting the breaker. Simply put, a magnetic switch wioll not remain in the on position unless power is present whereas a mechanical switch will.

Could you explain? Starting with what DPDT means. Thanks.
Frank,

I should have said DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) rather than DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw). Double pole means it switches two hot conductors as in a 220V circuit. Single throw means it is either ON or OFF. Double throw means the switch has a center OFF position and passes voltage to one set of terminals when flipped one direction or to another set of terminals if flipped the opposite way.

A standard light switch is a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) device since it only has to activate one conductor. Flip the switch ON and it stays ON until flipped to the OFF position. Using such a device on a tablesaw will turn it on and off, of course but consider what can happen if the electrical power goes off. The saw stops, the lights go off -- all electrical devices go off. Imagine what can happen when power is restored. Just as the lights will come back on, your tablesaw will also start running. And you will forget to turn off the switch when the power goes off!

A magnetic switch eliminates the safety hazard in the event of a power failure. Basically, when you press the ON button on a magnetic switch, it activates a coil that closes the contacts to apply power to the saw or other device. This operates like an electro-magnet. If electrical power goes off, the coil in the switch is no longer energized and causes the switch to move to its default, or OFF, position. When power is restored, the saw is OFF! :thumb:

:)

Last edited: