Sliding tablesaw

Travis Porter

It seems I have convince the LOML to let me upgrade up my tablesaw set up from a cabinet saw to a slider.

What features/capabilities should I look for? I am not interested in what brand is better than the other, but more so what should it be capable of. I do some cabinets, furniture, and miscellaneous stuff. I am a hobbyist and not a pro so I am not looking for production put out. My shop is 24 x 32 so I believe I would like to be able to cross cut 96" with it, but can't say that it is mandatory.

Any and all suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

travis,

i have no real first hand info on sliders, never used one, but i was on MM's website the other day and watched the video they have showing their sliders features, the video features the one and only sam blasco and is very cool to watch, he shows how the slider can be used to true up two edges on sheet goods and then go from there, as well as other things. for me it was cool cause i had never really seen one in action....you however may already have.

just a thought. besides i know i always love to watch videos about power tools!!!

good luck with your decision
chris

"It seems I have convince the LOML to let me upgrade..."

"You know, I'm sitting here with this 400 dollar lathe, trying to turn out halfway decent work. Maybe I can convince Doorlink to let me get a Robust, or even one of those cool bowl lathes Bill Grumbine's been talking about...."

*Smack* "Wake up, man... this is planet earth calling!"

"Whew. Thanks, I needed that. Now where's that harbor freight drill I was just using?"

But seriously, Travis, if you can win that particular argument, you're a better rhetorician than I am. It would take Cicero himself to persuade Doorlink of such a thing... and even then, it would be an uneven contest. He might end up with his fingers cut off and nailed to the shop door... ;)

Good Luck! ;)

Bill

"Grissly" Don? Frank you've now tripped over & stuck your oar in.:):D:eek: Are you trying to stir up something HUH????:doh: Or just wavin a red flag at the bull????:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Me? Stick and wave? :eek: Never. :rolleyes:
It's Sunday morning, I shouldn't have done that. ;)
Actually, though, there are those who believe that Grizzly should, at least, be put on the 'to consider' list. A lot of pro shops buy their higher dollar equipment.

travis, look for at least 8` of travel, good flip stops, an outrigger with little to no deflection with 100+# on the end, and as big a motor as you can stuff under it;)......i also like equipment that doesn`t require proprietary tooling.....if you`re planning to buy new spend time talking with the service department(not sales!) and pick their brains as to strengths-n-weaknesses of the equipment you`re looking at, check resale value on used models of the equipment you`re looking at to see how well industry thinks they hold their value....once you`ve narrowed it down to 2-3 saws go see them first hand in a working shop where you can drive `em....then sit back and let it all soak in for a few weeks before you decide..

One other thing to think about Travis. Over here in euroland where many of the slider designs originate from, dado baldes are a no-no on TS. I know that this has been adjusted on some models now sold in the US but if you are likely to use a dado set make sure that your chosen weapon has the required arbour length etc.

Sorry I have no hands on experience to help you. A respected individual I cross paths with is very happy with his Mini Max S315 WS and I would certainly take that as a recommendation for a specific tool and capabilities list to start with.

What is needed here a bit more elaboration. If you mean by slider a Euro combo machine then, I own and love the redheaded stepchild of this category, a Robland X31 and can provide you some information. On the otherhand, if what you really want is simply a large "format" saw then, that's a different story. The big format saws are really made to service sheet goods like plywood. Let us know which is your interest...

I am looking for just a straight slider, not a combo. I have alll the separate machines, and really like having them independent.

Tod, forgive my ignorance, but what is an outrigger?

Is it as easy to work solid wood on these? Will I lose anything? The only thing I can see that would be tough would be to use something like a tenoning jig or am I confused/totally off?

As for brands, yes, the MM SC315 is sweet, thinking about a hammer as well. As to new or used, would like to save as much as I can and used is enticing in it's way. I see a used MM SC315 on the MM web site, but buying used sight unseen for that much cash bothers me to say the least.

Travis are you still going to keep your cabinet saw? I would, that way you could use it for tenoning, ripping hardwood etc.

You can process hardwood on a slider but personally I think it is a little awkward for ripping. But one thing they are good for is straight lining your hardwood.

There are alot of used altendorfs and martins they are both built like tanks and stay aligned pretty good.

Doug