This is another of my "turned to final size and shape" wet madrone burl pieces. This was turned wet with the intent of letting it warp and wrinkle as it wanted to, and that it did. When I saw how much it warped, I debated whether to re-turn it or finish it as-is. The problem with re-turning it was the big hump that formed around the inclusion. By the time I got it trued back up, the hump would have been a big hole. I opted for the as-is route. People will either like it or not. (All I need is one, with money.) As a famous turner has said more than once, it is what it is. It's about 6 1/2" wide by 4 3/4" high, with walls about 3/8" thick. I did no turning after it dried other than turning off the tenon at the foot. More Antique Oil and spray Deft lacquer, buffed with tripoli, followed with unbuffed Renaissance Wax to knock down the shine. The surface is very wrinkled and leathery-feeling.
Here are a couple shots of it right before going into the DNA for drying:
Attachment 12096 Attachment 12097
And here are a few of the finished piece. It's named "Quasimodo".
Attachment 12098 Attachment 12099 Attachment 12100 Attachment 12101 Attachment 12102
Definitely on the ugly side, but it kind of makes you feel sorry for it. (Or me, depending on your point of view.) Let me know what you think.